Trumpeter 1/48 MiG-23M Flogger B

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A little update... applied a gloss coat to the Flogger in preparation for decals and weathering.
IMG_9535_zpsdyvqhtv3.jpg

IMG_9536_zpstddmdlpn.jpg

I need to do some more painting like the air brake wells, the engine and the dark grey areas on the tail fin before going any further.

Hello!
Do you have any info of the MiG-23 in Polish service?
What the pilots thought of them or tactics
From what I read Flogger was a pilots nightmare.

Hello!
Do you have any info of the MiG-23 in Polish service?
What the pilots thought of them or tactics
From what I read Flogger was a pilots nightmare.

Honestly... jet planes are not my forte. I am primarily interested in WWII aircraft but I chose to build this MiG due a Group Build that I was participating in here on this website. I armed myself with a few technical resources but was looking mostly at the photos. So no, I do not have much info on the MiG-23 in terms of flight characteristics and service record. But I could see how a plane with variable-geometry wings might be difficult to fly.

Looking good John, and great info from Wojtek. I knew there had been some change to the PAF insignia, but not what or when - was there a reason for swapping around the colour geometry ?

Terry, initially it was said the changings to the PAF square were introduced because of the political transformation here in Poland. But it is not true. The changing was nothing but the matching of the checkerboard to Polish Constitution that says that the colours of the Polish National flag are the white over the red. Therefore the left top square was changed into the white. Just the Law experts decided to use the heraldry rules. However I would like to make a focus on the fact that there still were planes with the old PAF insignia after the 1993.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the good info. I'm plodding along with this. Finished spraying the airbrake wells and exhaust. I did a little work on the landing gear too. Here's a shot of the wheel well...
IMG_9568_zpsvvdjrfu8.jpg

I have a few Aires detail sets for this kit including including the cockpit, wheel wells and landing gear. There are some fiddly PE pieces that I finally got around to playing with.
IMG_9569_zpsrp1rd6ja.jpg

The main landing gear doors are quite complex and feature four separate covers for each side. The smallest is this PE piece.
IMG_9570_zps1whhuzlb.jpg

The curve of the door was made by pushing the piece against the barrel of my hobby knife.
IMG_9571_zps7aoc8dso.jpg

One door complete.
IMG_9572_zpspljjwbkb.jpg

A test fit of the door on the landing gear.
IMG_9573_zpsdoltrbtl.jpg

Both doors complete.
IMG_9574_zpsobcoyave.jpg

The doors are secured into place using CA glue. I've pretty much stopped using regular CA glue and use mostly the gel type now.
IMG_9575_zpssuyve1ki.jpg

The landing gear struts have most of the details glued into place and these are painted in an aluminum color. I'll let these dry and then weather and put a flat coat on them.
IMG_9576_zpsklvchvqm.jpg

In between builds, I dug out my MiG-23 from the Shelf of Doom. I puttered out of steam last November but I'm taking another look at it to see if I can work up the motivation to finish it. Fishing the main assembly out of the plastic bag, I don't see any huge hurdles that would prevent me from going to the end but no promises. Here are some pictures to remind me of the great detail that the aftermarket cockpit and wheel wells have added to the Trumpeter kit.

Eduard Resin Wheel Wells
IMG_2017_zpsv4nzltjq.jpg

IMG_2018_zpsqz4odpnw.jpg

Aires Resin Cockpit
IMG_2019_zpst0sqgwxd.jpg

IMG_2020_zpsxrzgiuey.jpg

IMG_2021_zpsfp61qwa0.jpg

Aires Resin Exhaust
IMG_2023_zpsy7zyzqei.jpg

Missiles
IMG_2026_zps6xmbq1wa.jpg

I've added a patch of lighter green on the top surfaces. I'm going to start decaling.
IMG_2024_zpskq2ent8k.jpg

IMG_2025_zpsftfxplos.jpg

I spread the decal work over a few days. The decals were a mixture of Model Maker for the Polish markings and the kit sheets for the stenciling.
IMG_2047_zps4ptjf4p6.jpg

IMG_2048_zps9wmkpsxn.jpg

IMG_2049_zpswyeaj1ly.jpg

After decaling, the model was given a gloss coat and then a dark brown pastel wash.
IMG_2050_zpswaurvcky.jpg

IMG_2051_zpspj80jgqd.jpg

A semi-flat coat to seal the pastel wash.
IMG_2052_zpskvsvha6a.jpg

IMG_2053_zpscpqdbvod.jpg

IMG_2054_zpsxftldcgj.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back