Turbine Cub (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sunny91

Video Extraordinaire
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny

Attachments

• turbinecub.wmv
    7.3 MB · Views: 90
  • turcub.jpg
    turcub.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 501
  • turcub2.jpg
    turcub2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 875
My company was looking into those when we first heard someone was doing this. As far as I know they are still flying them as experimental.

I founded this:

Innodyne, LLC, the makers of small turbine engines, announced that the first private-party aircraft with one of their turbines lifted off for test flying in Colorado. The aircraft? None other than a Van's RV-8 (renamed the RV-8T). The aircraft flew for about 15 minutes to around 9,000 feet.

The price is right also - the least powerful model, at 165 HP is only $26,500. The 255HP model is $34,500. Considering the TBO of 5,000 hours, the wide availability of jet fuel, and the overall reliability of turbines, this could be a great deal. I don't have any numbers yet to compare the cost of ownership (it might be higher than a piston based on fuel consumption), but you have to admit, this really makes a turbine powered aircraft much more feasable for the light aircraft market.

This is not the first aircraft to have an Innodyne turbine installed - just the first privately owned aircraft. They have previously installed turbines on an RV-4 and a PA-18 Super Cub replica.

Pictures of the RV-8 can be found on the Innodyne website.

Sunny

Attachments

• innodyne_turbine.jpg
    innodyne_turbine.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 136
And what's with the latest trend to dare a ground loop by skimming bodies of water. Stupid. Leave the stunts at the circus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back