Turboprop Skyraider? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I didn't' start the thread, but we can always cuss and discuss this elsewhere...too bad the ole skyraider wasn't used in WWII...

..i think there is a thread about that though

I just wondered if anyone but me ever wished for a turboprop Skyraider. The original WWII Skyraider was one of the baddest attack planes ever built and it seems like a good idea. The rest deserves their own threads, but don't address the turboprop Skyraider question at all.

I have seen it said the military won't buy a taildragger, but I think if it were available, they'd change their minds.

I see that maybe I am not thinking of it like the rest of you, but I know a LOT of former soldiers that would LOVE to see a Skyraider turboprop in service for CAS.

Last edited:
'General Brass' always seems to view equipment more than 5 years old as something to be contemptable about, unless its so awe inspiring at its job, that it gives them more pride or they know it inside and out better than their buttocks...

Note; no offence is meant towards any unfortunate General(s) named Brass, if so, accept my profuse apologies for stereotyping them along with Major Ballsup - and a similar sorry to him to.

I'm sure a good enough tail dragger could generate such feelings if so inspiring to them.
A modern '..Raider'-ish inspired design, with heavy-duty/rough-field/extended-carrier-strong trike gears, butterfly style flaps and perhaps some sort of actuated partial leading edge slats/flaps could begin to crumble that facade of theirs.
Perhaps even with some sort of partial flap blowing system linked to reducing prop revolutions, not engine revolutions; like a wastegate/bypass bleed system or an aero power KERS thingymajig, a hyperthetical engine generated energy conservation redirection system.

Last edited:
Agreed. anyone know of any aviation forums that would proliferate an educational discussion of such topics. A WWII aviation forum doesn't seem like a place where something of the previous post's nature would reside.

The top military officials, usually have to please their bosses (politicians) and make their decisions negating the needs/capabilities of the "lower people". And if that ain't true, that's the perception....And perception is reality!

I like the thoughts you expressed in the last paragraph, i have had thoughts on large, well design flaps and leading edge slats (love then AN-2 Colts leading edge slat design!). interesting idea about reducing prop revolutions with a partial blown flap system... ingenious really. Some might say it sounds complicated, but have you ever looked inside a PT6 engine--4x 180* turns to airflow before returning to the environment, but one of the greatest, most reliable designs ever (I stake my life on it multiple times a week!).

OMP

Mr OldMan P
Your opinions and ideas are very very interesting and informative. Keep posting!

Yes, please redirect if it keeps the thread going! Additional request would be to add a link to the new area if possible to redirect lost souls for more information and participation!

Thanks for the encouragement, I love this type of brainstorming and interaction--someone might think it's crazy, but 30 years ago who thought the internet was a crazy idea. Or cell phones--or smart phones!!

If a moderator wants to become, please do in order to clean up this mess of thread redirection. I don't have priveleges to move entire threads, but I will make a new thread in the modern section that references this one, then post the new link in this thread for any readers to find "the rest of the story"--and Paul Harvey fans????

Standby for links and hopefully fun new stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back