Tutorial: Aircraft position lights

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Luftace43

Senior Airman
Mar 16, 2018
So I tried two products, Dimension magic by Mod Podge, sold in craft stores, and Testors clear parts adhesive.
0322181925.jpg

I got better results with the Mod Podge product, the Testors wanted to level out a lot more. The trick I found is to place a small drop from the bottle on a work surface (like you do when using super glue) and let it set up for about 15 minutes. It will be too thin to achieve the desired result before this. I'll show these as done on piece of plastic sheet over a swatch of olive drab. In the pictures, the group of four were done with the testors product and the grouping of six are the Mod Podge product.

Take a shaved down sharp toothpick and place a tiny drop where desired, being careful to not to let the diameter of the drop exceed the width of the light you are wanting to represent. Carefully, with a very light touch, drag the drop in the direction of the taper and lift away while doing so that it tapers out. (This of course for the light a light that is to be teardrop shaped)
You can build up the thickness by reapplying more. Basically just touching the bead formed on the end of the toothpick to your newly made light and lifting away. It is something that you really have to feel and play with a bit. If you do not like the result, allow to dry for at least an hour and it can be easily removed by gently scratching with ones fingernail or toothpick. It will pop right off, allowing you to start anew.

0322181909.jpg

In the picture above, the cluster of four lights at the bottom are made with the testors clear cement. It may be able to work, but seems that it will take many more layers to achieve sufficient volume. The Mod Podge product worked better and was able to be built up quickly once allowed to cure to an acceptable viscosity. Be careful waiting too long to work with it as it will eventually leave points as you pull your toothpick away and not want to level out into the desired domed shape. Again, this is a feel sort of thing when working with this.

0322181927.jpg
0322181928a.jpg
0322181926b.jpg

These have been painted with Model Master Acryl clear red and clear blue. A vertical stabilizer from a 1/48 P-51D has been included for scale. These are pretty translucent even though the camera does not show this.

I hope this is helpful and I will be glad to clarify anything if needed. Let me me know if additional pictures would be useful, I will see what I can do.

Attachments

• 0322181910.jpg
    0322181910.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Good technique. Thanks for the demo. What do you use for the paint? Have you tried mixing paint into the glue?

Hey Andy, thank you. I used Model Master acrylics. I have edited the original post so that it reflects that now.

I have not tried mixing paint with the glue yet but is something I plan to try. I am also toying with the possibility of being able to make these off of the model and then be able to transfer them to the model once cured. Could make for an easier application and less worry of marring an already finished surface. Investigation shall continue. :bookworm:

It's very interesting L43, I do not have Testors C.P.A., but I can try it with Micro Kristal Klear or PVA.
Here in Mexico I should also find something similar in the craft shops. Good idea to mix the colors previously, Andy.
Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

Been using a similar technique for many years, but I apply the PVA direct to the model. Colour is added, if required, by painting with clear colour acrylics, and then another drop of PVA is added on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back