Twin engined planes flying at one engine?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
Back at the Beaufighter thread (Merlin vs. Hercules), it was mentioned the Merlin-engined variant was troublesome to fly at single engine. So I wonder what types of twin engined planes were able to decently fly (if only to home) on a single engine? IIRC Mosquito was a good performer in that discipline?

But Mossie was difficult to land one engine dead. DH used its own formula when calculating the needed tail areas and their formula produced too small tails. That was the reason behind Mossies poor single engine landing characterics and the problem became really significant with DH 103 Hornet that's why they had to enlarge its fin.

Juha

P-38 flew well on one engine. If you lost an engine on takeoff you actually had to slightly power back on the good engine while configuring the aircraft for single engine operation.

Although different twin engine aircraft will have varying single engine performance, half the battle comes from the pilot being adequately trained in multi engine operations emphasizing engine out procedures.

Do 335 was said to handle very well on one engine - positive side of the push-pull config.

Do 335 was said to handle very well on one engine - positive side of the push-pull config.
A push pull configuration is an entirely different animal when comparing to wing mounted twins. In fact you don't need an additional rating to fly a push-pull twin in the civilian world, that's how benign engine out flying characteristics are on this configuration.

Hi Flyboy J, I thought that was just for teh Cessna 337 Sky Disaster ... uhh ...Skymaster, and that any new push-pulls would have to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Am I wrong on that one?

Hi Flyboy J, I thought that was just for teh Cessna 337 Sky Disaster ... uhh ...Skymaster, and that any new push-pulls would have to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Am I wrong on that one?

Hi Greg;

Actually I stand to be corrected, you do need a multi engine rating to fly a 337

Hi Greg;

Actually I stand to be corrected, you do need a multi engine rating to fly a 337

In the U.S. yes. Some countries have a "centerline thrust rating" specifically for pusher-pullers like the 337, can't remember which ones offhand.

I read somewhere that when De Havilland were showing the Mosquito off to the RAF brass they had it doing rolls and other moves on one engine, so maybe it flew OK even if it was tricky to land that way.
FYI, I may have mentioned it before but my Grandfather was a joiner (furniture maker) and he built the wings for Mossies in a London street during WWII. He said they built one end, then the local Bobby stopped the traffic while they walked it out into the street, did a 180 and walked the other end back into the workshop. When they were done a truck came around, dropped off the materials for a new one, and took the completed one away. I guess from the way he descrind it the Mosquito had a continuous spar from wing tip to wing tip?

I read somewhere that when De Havilland were showing the Mosquito off to the RAF brass they had it doing rolls and other moves on one engine, so maybe it flew OK even if it was tricky to land that way.

Geoffrey de Havilland certainly flew it that way on several displays. I don't think he did so on the first flight, but maybe he did in early test flights.

FYI, I may have mentioned it before but my Grandfather was a joiner (furniture maker) and he built the wings for Mossies in a London street during WWII. He said they built one end, then the local Bobby stopped the traffic while they walked it out into the street, did a 180 and walked the other end back into the workshop. When they were done a truck came around, dropped off the materials for a new one, and took the completed one away. I guess from the way he descrind it the Mosquito had a continuous spar from wing tip to wing tip?

Yes, the Mosquito had a single piece wing.

One story I read somewhere is that a USAAF B-26 was belting along as fast as it would go, only for its crew to see a Mosquito flying along side, keeping pace. One one engine. Inverted!

That may be complete BS though.

One story I read somewhere is that a USAAF B-26 was belting along as fast as it would go, only for its crew to see a Mosquito flying along side, keeping pace. One one engine. Inverted!

That may be complete BS though.

It was an amazing plane, and the Hornet might have proved even amazinger!

Good luck in the Bledisloe tonight, Wuzak. I'd like to see the ABs get their record for most consecutive test wins, then again I'd like to see the Wallabies get off the canvas too. But if that happens I'm going to post a comment conceeding that radial engines will come apart if hit by BB gun.

Didn't know it was on..

It's a Championship game and a dead rubber. Doesn't stop me watching it.....6 all after 30 minutes.

I'm sure I saw one of the Wallabies mouthing "Poofs" at the All Blacks during their Haka. Probably not a brilliant idea.

Steve

It's a Championship game and a dead rubber. Doesn't stop me watching it.....6 all after 30 minutes.

I'm sure I saw one of the Wallabies mouthing "Poofs" at the All Blacks during their Haka. Probably not a brilliant idea.

Steve

To Australians the world is divided into two kinds of people; Australians and poofs. I have heard that there is consideration being given to the recognition of a third, extremely small sub-catagory - Australian poofs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back