Typhoon with Tempest tailplane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rank amateur

Airman 1st Class
Mar 21, 2009
Schiedam, Holland
Over the years both in books and on sites I have read that in order to definately resolve its tailproblems, the Hawker Typhoon was issues with a larger (Tempest) Tailplain. I have never seen a pic or a detailed drawing of these late production Typhoons.

I wonder if anyone else has.

Using of the Tempest tailplain doesn't mean that it was the entire one attached to the Typhoon. In fact the change was a little bit large stabilizer and elevator only. The difference is really noticed barely. It can be noticed if you have a close up look at the leading edge of the stabilizer at its root. The early one started a little bit behind the fuselage panel line with the reinforcing plates of the join of the fuselage and tail section. Because the late one had a large chord , the leading edge started almost at the panel line on the fuselage As a result the reinforcing plates and the Sky S-type band were overlaped by the stabilizer . Here two enlarged shots of the early tail and three of the late one. Can you see?

Typhoon_1 early.jpg

Typhoon_2 early.jpg

Typhoon_2 late.jpg

Typhoon_1 late.jpg

Typhoon 3 late.jpg

Last edited:
My pleasure. Here one more shot of the enlarged , late tailplane and its diagram ...

typhoon 4a late.jpg

typhoon 4b late.jpg

Last edited:
Just as I had mentioned that. The only part that was changed were the enlarged stabilizers and elevators. These had the enlarged chord. The fin and rudder remained of the same dimensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back