ugly airplanes of ww2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I find this surprising:

A distinctive feature of all Whitleys was the high angle of incidence built into the wings because the aircraft's designer was unfamiliar with flaps. As the result, all Whitleys flew with a pronounced nose-down attitude of the fuselage (Gunston 1995).

and this:

A distinctive feature of all Whitleys was the high angle of incidence built into the wings because the aircraft's designer was unfamiliar with flaps. As the result, all Whitleys flew with a pronounced nose-down attitude of the fuselage (Gunston 1995).

erm, you used the same quote twice :dontknow:

but anyway i'm with gnomey, she's no lanc but she is better than the french bombers, not that they're ugly you understand........

Try this.

Any takers for a Not Flying Lesson?

Attachments

• umm.jpg
    umm.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 120
Theres a fine line between plain ugly and plain weird. I think the line has just been crossed, its not so bad ;)

British. Experimental prototype, never delivered.

AIRSPEED AS.39 - Designed (with General Aircraft GAL. 3 8) to Specification S.23/37 to provide the FAA with a carrier-based slow-flying reconnaissance aircraft with a long duration for 'fleet shadowing' duties, the Airspeed AS.39 was powered by four 130 hp Niagara V radials and featured folding wings and a special BLG long-travel tailwheel to achieve 'level-landing characteristics. Two prototypes ordered but only one (N1323) flown, initially on October 18, 1940. No production.

Max speed, 126 mph (202 km/h) at 5,000 ft (1,525 m). Stalling speed, 37.5 mph (60 km/h) at full throttle at 5,000 ft (1,525 m). Endurance, approx 6 hr. Gross weight, 6,935 1b (3,146 kg). Span, 53 ft 4 in (16.25 m), Length, 40ft 0 in (12.2 m).

I think the Me 323 Gigant would make the list for me, even though I do have a lot of respect for the capability of the aircraft ;)

I think that russian I-16 was quite ugly aircraft. It just looking like a something who crash head-to-head with a train ;) . Yes ugly aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back