Unknown Airscrew coming from undersea in France

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

101 294 F on the reducing part just after the propeller

So far haven't been able to find anything from the number you mentioned, sorry. Maybe you could try dropping Joe (FlyboyJ) a PM - he's the best man for the job in these matters...

Hi A4K;

been jumping on here between posts. Hard to say what it is but it looks like the hub has a huck's starter on it.

hi,
thanks for that information.
We think it could be a Curtiss-Electric propeller on an Allison V-1710 engine.

What do you think about it ?

The only problem is that combination fits only whith curtiss P-40 but almost none of it flew in britany during war.

But we're not sure about that

The RAF did use them flying low level recon from GB for a short period, so it's possible it could have been in Brittany. However, I did find a page in a Pilots Manual for the P-40 Warhawk and it states the propeller was 11 feet in diameter.

We wonder what is that particular "gorge" clos to the propeller ?
hlice12.jpg

We think it could be a Curtiss-Electric propeller on an Allison V-1710 engine.

The only problem is that combination fits only whith curtiss P-40 but almost none of it flew in britany during war.

There are more options here:

First, it may be immediately pre- or post WW II.

Also, 3-blade Curtiss Electrics were also used on the F-4F, P-36, and P-38, from what I've found out, all of which were operated in the area.

Of these, the P-38 also had Allison V-1710 engines, and were operated by the USAAF, RAF, French, and Free French Air forces.

If this one wasn't fitted to an Allison, then an FAA operated Wildcat, or RAF or French Hawk 75 (P-36) are also options (used from 1939, possibly an early war loss during the initial German invasion of France)

Something to think about...

Found this too on Curtiss Electric props: http://www.enginehistory.org/Convention/2005/Presentations/FeyTom/P08 Curtiss Electric.pdf

Evan

Last edited:
I jest sent a PM to Link

I believe it is a Curtiss Electric Prop, probably a C532D-F2 used on the Hawk 75A.

Compare the pics posted and the clamp around the base of the propeller blade

Image15.jpg

I believe part of the hub and motor assy has either broke or corroded away, that's whay I thiught it had a huck's fitting on the end of the hub

Thank u all especially FlyboyJ and A4K.

The prop is a curtiss, no doubt about it and we will soon check it.
We're going to mesure the blades and it could gives the precise model of curtiss Blade.

The engine could be more difficult to identify because of the few parts remaining on the screw.
I only have one candidate at the moment it's the Allison v1710 but i don't believe in it
Maybe A Merlin

i'm no quiete sure it is an allison :
comparaisonallisonv-1710ethlice.jpg

to much point of comparison i think

What do you think ?

i'm no quiete sure it is an allison :
comparaisonallisonv-1710ethlice.jpg

to much point of comparison i think

What do you think ?

Not really Link -

That's the gearbox you're looking at and not part of the engine. I'll have to look to see what type of gearboxes were common between engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back