Unknown drop tank

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dwayneski

Airman
Mar 26, 2016
Netherlands
Hello forummembers,

I recently got this part of a unknown droptank. I already posted this on another forum. Someone there mentioned it could be a wing tip tank from a Sea Venom. I showed the pictures to a WWII aviation expert who said it can not be a wing tip tank due to its size, and was probably WWII (due to markings). It was found in a barn in the area of Midden-Limburg (The Netherlands). It seems to be ground off the tank. Something has been attached to the front (or rear?). It is painted aluminium and has red and white lettering. The place it has been found suggests that it could both be of RAF or USAAF origin. Does anyone recognize this part?

DSC8800.jpg

DSC8801.jpg

DSC8802.jpg

DSC8803.jpg

DSC8804.jpg

DSC8805.jpg

DSC8806.jpg

DSC8807.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS: I don't know how it happened, but all the images seem to have been rotated while uploading.

drawing number EA3 62 176
Canberra Crazy: Canberra Part Number - Specific layout etc
"EA3-62-176 GA of drop tank (stbd) (superseded?) "
What I get from the link is that it is a starboard drop tank of a Canberra but I can't find any more sites to back that up.
GA - General Arrangement?

Might be enough information for some of our other tech geniuses to fill in the blanks?

Wheels

Hello wheelsup_cavu. Thanks for your awesome reply! Good searching on your part! I couldn't find the number anywhere on the internet. Although it is not WWII related, I'm stil very glad that we now have an exact match. It's also interesting to see that there is an entire forum dedicated to the aircraft.

I showed the pictures to a WWII aviation expert who said it can not be a wing tip tank due to its size, and was probably WWII (due to markings).

Oh well, wrong on both counts :)
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back