Unknown French captured aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01

Honourably banned
Mar 26, 2007
Fire away...

unknown french.jpg

I would guess it's actually a two seat Hawk with a single seater's canopy, the forward windshield removed and a cover over the forward cockpit. That would account for the kink in the upper nose line, the forward edge of the forward cockpit is right at that kink. The single seater's windshield is normally mounted about half the cowling's length behind the cowling while the two seater's rear windshield is a full cowling length behind as is the one in this photo.

The Gypsy Six version though has the cockpit further forward (relative to the aft cowl edge) than what we see in post 1 as it looks like the post 1 aircraft doesn't have the six, but a four instead due to the shorter cowling. Note the Six's cowling goes behind the wing leading edge.

The Gypsy Six version though has the cockpit further forward (relative to the aft cowl edge) than what we see in post 1 as it looks like the post 1 aircraft doesn't have the six, but a four instead due to the shorter cowling. Note the Six's cowling goes behind the wing leading edge.

Oh yes I can see that now although the white square and the guy standing in front of the plane cover the back edge of the engine cowling .. I think the most important is the shape of the fuselage top in front of the cockpit . The one in front of the winscreen has the line broken ( into two ones ) toward the prop while the Gipsy Six had one stright line.. So it wouldn't be the Miles M-2L but a M-2H or something like that with the cockpit hood modified.

The pic source : 1950's Archive Part 1: Hendon 1951

M-2H.jpg

For comparison.. the Miles M-2L Hawk speed six

Miles M2L Speed Six_.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back