Unknown object

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T-dog

Airman
Aug 1, 2012
Hi All

Anyone have any idea what this might be? The bottom scale is 10cm sections (50cm) and the side scale is 1cm sections (20cm).

All suggestions gratefully received.

Attachments

• 2328_reduced.JPG
    2328_reduced.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 161
It could be many things, are there any side/end pictures too? Initially I thought it could be for cooling or ducting, or a gun jacket, it might also be part of a tail rotor from an early helicopter as a more outlandish idea.. but that (adjusting?) linkage/mount on it is probably one of the keys to it, that as well as its location as Adler said and what if any other pieces there are in its area.

It was discovered in the Thames Estuary roughly between the Isle of Grain and Foulness Island. We know there are a number of WW2 aircraft crash sites in the general vicinity, but we have no accurate position of where this came from. Recent finds include part of a parachute and a small fragment of aluminium. I'll try to get some more photos for you and post them. Yes, the interp as a tail rotor has already been discussed as a possibility - very interesting - thanks.

The shape does resemble some rear wheel drive transmissions, but the thickness of the material that can be seen that looks akin to the tapering housing that would house the final drive and bearing for the universal joint, looks like its only under a few millimetres thick. then there's the electron/anodised magnesium looking bracket, the 4 bolt clamp ahead of that and the very small boss on the end - too small for a U/J.
The more I look at it, the more I think its from a helo..

Interesting. Anyone know of any historic helo crash sites in this area?

Some more images for you.

Attachments

• 2286_low res.JPG
    2286_low res.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 2327_low res.JPG
    2327_low res.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 2331_low res.JPG
    2331_low res.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 147
Hello,

The object looks very similar to lower drive unit from a small outboard engine. My mercury 5 hp outboard from below the power head has the same shape. Is the lever "L" shape metal object made of stainless. That would be to raise the engine out of the water while mounted on the transom. Everything else looks like aluminum

Timmy

Hah! I was thinking that it might very be completely without any provenance to aerospace. Without any clues to aircraft, it could be flippin anything. Hell they are digging up **** in the Thames that goes back thousands of years including skulls, coins, jewelry, shipwrecks, etc.

Hell they are digging up **** in the Thames that goes back thousands of years including skulls, coins, jewelry, shipwrecks, etc.

As the late, great, Spike Milligan wrote:

"Old father Thames smells like sh*t
No wonder there's no fish in it."

It's fair to say things have improved a lot since he wrote that!

Cheers

Steve

The lower section of an outboard is also a good suggestion, the 4 bolt clamp would also fit in with that option too - ..it must have hit something really hard at high speed to rip it off like that though...

Thanks all - yes, maybe not aircraft at all then, but worth asking the question!

looks German to me, esp with yellow annodise. The first thin that jumped into mind (which it isnt!) was the rocket pipe of an Me163 or part of a doodlebug.....It could be from a V2.

That annodised part must have a number on it?

Propeller Blade Root with a lever / cam for counterweights?

- Ivan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back