Unknown turret

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Graeme

1st Sergeant
May 31, 2007
This image is from an article appearing in a 1945 edition (October) of Popular Mechanics discussing belt-fed aircraft armament (American). The caption gives no clue as to what aircraft the 4-gun turret (swivelling?) belongs to...

This image is from an article appearing in a 1945 edition (October) of Popular Mechanics discussing belt-fed aircraft armament (American). The caption gives no clue as to what aircraft the 4-gun turret (swivelling?) belongs to...

My guess is B29 as the early 4 x .50 turret on the P-61 had a limited elevation travel relative to B-29.

Yep, front dorsal turret of the B-29 would be my guess.

TO

TO - we may be often wrong but rarely uncertain.

I must confess some confusion looking for the rest of the turret ring behind the guns - it was the one detail leading me to the P-61 config which was forward firing in future models... or removed altogether

I'm not really too familiar with the B-29 turrets, but I thought the inner two mgs were slightly higher than the outer pair(?).
It certainly looks like a P-61 front fairing to me in any case, but I could be wrong.

I'm not really too familiar with the B-29 turrets, but I thought the inner two mgs were slightly higher than the outer pair(?).

I can't find a good photo on the net, but that's my impression as well Evan, the guns were staggered, not in a straight line as in the photo...

You're right A4K. The two inside .50s were raised higher. But I'm not sure if every variant of the B-29 had the same config.

The attached photo shows the front turret without the guns.

TO

Attachments

• turret.jpg
    turret.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 116
Here's a better photo of the B-29 turret.

Not sure, but the perspective of Graeme's original pic might not be showing the exact position of the center MGs. :confused:

TO

Attachments

• turret2.jpg
    turret2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 117
Maybe. Not 100% sure though.

TO

I am still baffled by the absence of the complete turret ring as both the P-61 and B-29 turret rotated 360. I do agree this should not be the B-29 by virtue of the straight line battery.

The below reference from flight Journal sez that the B-29 and P61 turret was the same (obvious difference in 'stagger) so hard to make a case that the discussion battery was either the B-29 or P-61.. confusing even me!

Airdrop - April 2008 | Article Titles and Pages | Armor Journal

Found this photo of a P-61 turret being serviced. Configuration of the .50s looks similiar to the front top turret of the B-29.

And different from what Graeme posted.

:?:

TO

Attachments

• P-61Turret.jpg
    P-61Turret.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 124
..And unless it's just my eyes, the inner pair are either higher than the outer ones, or set slightly further in the nose?

Geat pic though Macchi, and great photos TO - seems to rule out the P-61 aswell then!

..And unless it's just my eyes, the inner pair are either higher than the outer ones, or set slightly further in the nose?

To me, they're arranged in a straight line. The article (maybe I should have mentioned this earlier) discusses "Forced Feeding" of ammunition belts using an electric booster, developed by the Hughes Aircraft Company Culver City California. I'm thinking the correct orientation of the photo should be thus...

Just a thought.

Is it possible that all the photos supplied to Popular Mechanics were from Hughes? Therefore is it possible that we're looking at a VERY rare photo of the "proposed" rear nacelle armament for Hughes' D-2...?

Just a thought.

Is it possible that all the photos supplied to Popular Mechanics were from Hughes? Therefore is it possible that we're looking at a VERY rare photo of the "proposed" rear nacelle armament for Hughes' D-2...?
That's beginning to look more like the shape and orientation of the rear turret on the B-29 that I was trying to pin it to, just that for the B-29 there didn't seem to be a 4-gun arrangement.

I must admit I scanned the photo and turned it through 180 degrees to see if it looked 'better' as a ventral turret.

What I noticed with your theory is that the Hughes D-2 that you outlined tapers to a near-point at the rear gun nacelle, whereas in the photo there seems to be an awful lot of sheet metal surrounding the nacelle.

Great stuff Graeme and Colin! Graeme, What I was referring to in post 17 was actually Macchi's pic of the B-25H! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back