US Military hardware easy to buy

Discussion in 'Modern' started by Colin1, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Colin1

Colin1 Active Member

Engineer and overgrown schoolboy
  2. wheelsup_cavu

wheelsup_cavu Well-Known Member

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Home Page:
    Sadly I am not surprised by this report.
    We as a society are more worried about the almighty dollar than our own safety.
    Too many times in the past we have supplied the weapons to those who would become our enemies.

Wheelsup

3. FLYBOYJ

FLYBOYJ "THE GREAT GAZOO"
    Staff Member Moderator

Aircraft Maintenance Manager/ Flight Instructor
    Actually that report is a bunch of BS. Inclinometers? And an F-16 "engine computer?" Specifics - the stuff shown is actually pretty basic hardware and while I agree in specific applications some of these basic electronic devices need to be control, this report is a vague as a fog. More media hype than fact, at least shown in the report.

4. BombTaxi

BombTaxi Active Member

I think the key difficulty is that a lot of material has legitimate civilian uses, as well as applications in weaponry - in fact, I get the impression that the problem isn't with folks buying actual weapons, it's with them buying apparently innocent items which can then be used in improvised weapons. Problem is, how do you stop that trade without harming your own economy? It's a win-win for the bad guys really, they either buy bomb parts off you, of watch you cripple your own economy in an attempt to stop the flow of material being exported.

I do agree that there is a lot of fluff in that report though. I doubt Al-Qaeda would have much use for an F-16 engine computer, or that their planning to build mini-missile. What I find infinitely more worrying is the prospect of them getting hold of nukes (or the material to make one) from another state or on the black market...