US subs in the arctic

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well like I've always said, if we're going to lay claim to all of that land (or ice ;) ), we'd best be able to patrol it properly ourselves. Y'think four diesel-electric subs are gonna conduct sovereignty patrols of the Arctic? Ha! :rolleyes:

Besides, if they think this is the first time for such an occurrence, they're kidding themselves. It happens a lot more often than they think, and it isn't only the Americans. Wake up, Ottawa!

Sure they do, along with the British, French, and even the Russians still do it. Hell, it's wide open up there. It's not like Canada really keeps any kind of military presence up there aside from a few Eskimo with hunting rifles.

That's a joke. I'm glad to see it's been brought out in the open. So, what is Canada going to do? I assume it's going to be nothing. Where exactly is all Canada's money going anyway?

I don't see any reports on Canada's lifestyle being far and above any other Western nation - so the money obviously isn't going into the country or people, so where is it going?

If Canada really can't protect it's sea lanes, why does it just use Britain or, ideally, the U.S to do it for them? I know, it may sound bad having to rely on another country for your own protection but it's an alliance. France and Britain had always maintained that France would do the bulk of the ground work while Britain supplied the naval work in any European conflict. In the 1930s it was updated to an equal share in air work and France taking over some of the naval work on the African coast.

where Canada's money goes is in the infrastructure we are a very large land mass with a small population for the area and to keep roads airports and the such going year round is pretty costly its probably hard for most people including most Canadians to conceive the distances involved in Europe you guys can throw rocks at the next town where here 50 miles between towns is not rare one place I'm familiar with was 429 miles to the next town but even most Canadians are unaware of this because such a high proportion of us live within 100 miles of our southern friends this coupled with the fact the previous management of the place the UK was very eager to sign very lucrative treaties with the natives that run in perpetuity no taxes free houses you name it they have it

I don't know about Ontario PB, but in Nova Scotia the provincial Department of Transportation is still responsible for the bulk of the road maintenance. Most of he money comes directly from provincial coffers, with little federal assistance. That's why Nova Scotia's highways are in such relatively rough condition. The feds even expect the provinces to shoulder half of the spending on the 104 federal highway. Granted, Ontario has a lot more highway than Nova Scotia. ;)

Ottawa has cut federal assistance waaaaay back over the last decade and a bit, and has placed much more responsibility on the provinces. Not only with infrastructure but with health care as well. That's why poorer provinces like Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, PEI, and New Brunswick now rely heavily on equalization payments from the wealthier provinces like Alberta, BC, and Ontario. It's not the least bit fair to those provinces to have to shell over their own provincial revenues to a program designed to keep the Atlantic Region on it's feet, but that's what we're left with for the time being.

Much federal money gets spent on ridiculous corporate initiatives that go nowhere, national unity strategies designed to keep Québec in the country (that again appear to be going nowhere. Sponsorship anyone?), and foreign aid packages. To be realistic though, it's been that way for decades, long before Mr. Chrétien took the reigns of government in the 90's. There is no reason in the world why Canada can't afford a decent military capable of defending our frontiers and fulfilling our international obligations. No reason whatsoever.

I don't know about Ontario PB, but in Nova Scotia the provincial Department of Transportation is still responsible for the bulk of the road maintenance. Most of he money comes directly from provincial coffers, with little federal assistance. That's why Nova Scotia's highways are in such relatively rough condition. The feds even expect the provinces to shoulder half of the spending on the 104 federal highway. Granted, Ontario has a lot more highway than Nova Scotia.

What you guys need are Toll-booths, people in this country think they are soo Communist but if you have been on the Highways in North Dakota they couldnt be more perfect.

I beleive it, god forbid everyone should chip in fifty cents for a highway that wont kill soo many people.

I have finally found something to Envy of North Dakota.

A PLACE THAT IS RENOWNED, REVERED, AND IS THE ENVY OF THE WORLD FOR ITS TECHNOLOGICALY SUPERIOR HIGHWAY SYSTEMS

IITTSS! NOOORRRTH DAKOTAAAAA!!!

Most of the Western States the Border with Canada have nice highways, but if you were to go through Michigan Wisconson or Illinois there just as bad as ours and they drive like the crazy bastards in Ontario too.

I've never driven through the Mid-West, but the New England states have pretty good interstates as well. Yeah, I've been through parts of Washington and Oregon too. It's nice.

I was actually using highways as examples think of all the airports we have to pay for up in the arctic or nwt and such the court systems that have to travel to every little town, electicity that has to be generated because its to far away from the grid it all adds up yes the military needs much more funding but who do we rob to pay for it . Myself I'd like to see civil servants take a pay cut make the natives work for their money cut the wages of educators the list can go on

Who do we rob to pay for it? We shouldn't have to rob anyone, that's my point. How much money goes into useless projects like these federal sponsorship deals everyday? That recent sponsorship scandal was a perfect example of why government needs to be accountable for mass spending like that. Jesus, do you know how long they've been doing that sort of thing on the Hill? Years man, years. We the public are just now waking up to the actual scope of it. For example, the government throws out an open cheque to some survey company to launch a study into something completely stupid, and then never bothers to do an audit of any sort when a multimillion dollar bill arrives and there are no results to show for it. Does that makes sense to anyone? That kind of squandering goes on left and right, you know that.

But that's just a single example of the type of waste that occurs in Ottawa on a regular basis. What about this so-called "National Unity"? :rolleyes:
Then there's foreign aid. I mean, the list just goes on and on! We could probably stand to re-evaluate our priorities just a bit. Christ, look at the state of health care in this country these days. Your list of suggestions ain't bad either, concerning civil servants and such.

Canada isn't a poor country by any means, you know. We're actually one of the wealthier ones. We're in the G8 for Christ's sake, but we waste so much f*cking money! I'm not talking about a massive military like the United States now. We obviously lack the population or the industrial base for something that size. We'd never support something like that in a million years, but we can sure as hell have something significantly better than what we've been left with. I mean a lot better. Christ, we can't even defend our own country! Why we're even still in NATO or sending folks to places like Afghanistan is anyones guess! This is absolute garbage, that's what this is, and there's no need of it whatsof*ckingever. None.

okay rob is a poor term but has our govt got the balls to say the hell with day care if you can't afford kids wear condoms or you want to work in Canada you pay for your own English or French lessons .your from down east how long did we keep those coal mines going in cape breton or how much money was spent to change the name of afrikaville to simonstown(i hope thats the correct name) why should I support through pogey some fisherman who can only fish for a couple of months a year and its not only in the maritimes its all over the place . Now I'm gonna have to pay for Halifax to host commonwealth games its all crap yes we do need to upgrade the forces and stop sending frigates on fish pats but which politician has the guts to do it or say so if one does he isn't gonna get elected because the majority of Canadians are snivellers

Those are all perfect examples of the waste right there. A lot of what you've just listed rests at the provincial level though, and brother I'll be the first to agree that the governments out east (particularly Nova Scotia) have been the sh*ts at managing the affairs down here. Everything is just one big f*cked up circle after another, and then we go running to the federal government and the next thing you know you've got Ontario supporting Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. :rolleyes:

To be fair though, a big part of the economy down here was dependent on the fishery. Once that went tits up, we were really in a world of hurt. Sysco Steel in Cape Breton should have been shut down long before it was though,I'll agree, and the coal mines have been spent for years now. Why should Ontario pay for it, or Alberta or BC? Well, I can't really give you a good reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back