USAAF Victory Credits

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
OK ...

I finished putting the WWII USAF Victory Credits List into Excel if anyone is interested.

Looks like we awarded a total of 15,868.27 total credits during the war.

The fields I have are name rank, unit, Serial Number, Date, Theater of Operations, and Credits.

There is no field for type of aircraft flown or the type of victim, but it is a great starting place. I would attach it here ... but you can't upload an Excel file. If anyone has a list of when the various units converted to what aircraft, we could come very close to knowing the breakdown by aircraft type. I show 352 units including Squadrons, Wings, Divisions, Base Units, and Air Forces.

The size isn't too big, so if anyone wants it, I can email it.

Best regards, - Greg

Last edited:
Greg - the best current source for change dates is Frank Olynyk. I used his Stars and Bars to get a head start. Waded through Encounter reports surrounding the date to get first VC's of new fighter.. and then checked squadron by squadron for the next month or so.

Greetings Greg and drgondog,

For dates when 8thh AF Groups changed aircraft, I believe Kent Miller's Fighter Units Pilots of the 8th Air Force Volume 1 may be useful. The volume also gives victories by date and the type of aircraft claimed. I don't know how those numbers stack up against Frank Olynyk's.

As for the 3 P-38 groups min the 9th Air Force:
367th
392 First P-47 mission, around 2/16/45
393 First P-47 mission, 2/26/45
394 First P-47 mission, 2/21/45
370th Flew mixed formations of P-38 and P-51 from 3/22 to 3/25 1945.
Before that time period, the group flew P-38's, P-51's after that period.
It appears that the 401st and 402nd squadrons were the first to go "all Mustang" on 3/22. it appears the 485th didn't go "all Mustang until" 3/25.

474th flew P-38's until VE day.

Hope that helps!

Eagledad

Sources: The Dynamite Gang, by Richard Groh
The 370th Fighter Group in World War II, by Jay Jones

Thanks guys. I appreciate that.

Accumulation of WWII aviation data is a hobby, but I try my best to enure the data are correct before using it. Sometimes it can be a challenge, huh?

You should be able to upload it as a zip file Greg.

Manage Attachments
Valid file extensions: avi bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg m4a mov mp3 mp4 mpeg mpg pdf png pps ppt psd rar txt wav wma wmv zip

Make the excel file a zip file.
Start a new post or edit your first post.
Click on the Manage Attachments Button
Click the Add Files button when the Manage Attachments page opens.
Click the Select Files button and browse to the zip file on your computer that you want to upload.
After you select the file you want to upload click the Upload Files Button.

The file below is an excel file that I just threw together to see if I could upload an excel file in a zip format.

The only thing that would cause this to fail is if the zipped excel file is larger than the forum will allow you to upload. I can't find those size limitations anymore.

Wheels

Attachments

• test only.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 65

Users who are viewing this thread

Back