USAF/USN Flourescent Red (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Matt308

Glock Perfection
Apr 12, 2005
Washington State
Anybody know that the Federal Standard (FS) number is for the subject color?

28915 (Model Masters Flourescent Red) looks entirely too orange.

31136 (Model Masters Isignia Red) is too dark

28913 (Model Masters Flourescent Orange-Red) is definitely flourescent, but too orange.

12197 (Model Masters International Orange) looks close, just not quite red enough.

FED-STD-595 Federal Standard 595 Colors FS 28915, 31136, 28913, 12197

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I read it that Matt is looking for the FS number for the USAF/USN Fluorescent Red, with those numbers shown being the FS numbers for the paints by the manufacturers listed.
Matt, I haven't seen a listing for the colour name you're looking for. Do you perhaps mean Arctic Red, as used, for example, on the fins of some aircraft of the USAF/USN in the '50's to '60's? This was also later used on fuselage bands, and on the nose of the Alaska - based Scorpions as another example.
If so, I think I've got the FS number somewhere, IF I can find it! (I don't have a complete FS listing, just a few in various references.)

is thisthe colour

Attachments

• goose303.jpg
    goose303.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 213
  • goose331.jpg
    goose331.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 173
I have seen both orange and red used on T-28s. It does seem the USAF orange and the USN orange are slightly different in shading to me. The USN orange seems a bit more red to me. I think I have a picture of the red on a T-28 around here somewhere, I just can't seem to locate it at the moment.

For the drone orange, it is more of the blaze orange, like the hunting jackets.

Attachments

• DSC_5225.jpg
    DSC_5225.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_2793.jpg
    DSC_2793.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Yeah that's it. You are right too, Airframes. Pb the F-102/-106 colours looks right in the pics, but I've also seen them painted with a more flourescent orange-red. This is the source of my confusion. Airframes is right that I'm looking for the USN colour from the late 50s to late 60s. Eric's last pic is spot on.

In that case Matt, I think it might be FS11126. But be careful, there are two numbers that correspond to what the USAF called 'Arctic Red', one of them being the one above. The other, which I think is FS11135 is much darker, appearing more of a ruby red.
The colour shown on Eric's pics of the Navy T28's is the colour I think of when talking of 'Arctic Red'. I found a web - site that had the listings, and colour swatches. I'll get the address for you, so that you can see which is which. If I can find the darned documents I need, they have all of the details, and they should be right, as they were sent to me by the USAF Museum, Dayton, specifically for details of the Arctic Red on the WB50 Weather Recon ships. I seem to recall it gave the FS, Methuen and Pantone references. I'll keep searching amongst my piles of cr...sorry, my reference library!

Oops! Correction to my last post! The numbers should read FS11120, for Arctic Red, with the 'dark' red being 11136.
The colour shown on the Navy T28's is probably 'International Orange' FS12197.
If you go to FED STD 595 Federal Standard 595 Color Server you'll be able to see these on the colour pallette, or enter the number in the box on the main page, then click on 'show colors'.
I might be wrong, but I think International Orange was also called Arctic Red!
Hope this isn't too confusing, and hope it helps Matt!

I think that may be it, Airframes. Thanks. I've been using the FS 595 URL, but have to take it with somewhat of a grain of salt since it is biased with our PC screen settings. But I think you nailed it. Looks a little to red for USN trainers, but certainly right for USAF late '50s-'60s interceptors.

Well done. And much thanks... yet again.

Best.

Still browsing for tips and came in here. Was aircrew in the old Sykorski SH34 and been looking for the international orange color, good link for color swatches, thanks for that! Now how about a formula for mixing????? bill

I tried all that, didn't work! Oh wait, was it the cat pee I used it made it go bad?????? I'll have to give it a try without next time. I will keep you posted. Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back