USS Yorktown CV-5 and others....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Which other WWII carriers etc. resting places, has been found? To which of these are you allowed or can dive down to?

The Graf Zeppelin was found in the Baltic, but she is a bit deep, at 80 meters... :(

The Saratoga is in the Bikini Atoll, at just 27 meters...

Other than these two, I only have heard of the Oriskany.

Which other WWII carriers etc. resting places, has been found? To which of these are you allowed or can dive down to?

Robert Ballard, of RMS Titanic fame, found CV-5 on 19 May 1998. The wreck, 3 miles beneath the surface (a mile deeper than Titanic), was surprisingly intact after having been on the sea bottom since 1942—much paint and equipment were still visible. Certainly can't dive down to it though.

Check this out Lucky....

Midway @ nationalgeographic.com

TO

Diddy, this is from Wiki;

"In 1999, the Nauticos company discovered wreckage that has been identified as coming from Kaga."

It doesn't go into anymore detail than that , I am afraid. I guess they found wreckage, but not the ship? Not sure if it has been found since this article was posted or not.

And here is a little more detailed info on the wreckage found from the website link below;

Japanese Aircraft Carrier Identified!

The wreckage discovered consists of two gun tubs and a section of the upper hanger deck, located on the starboard aft machine-gun gallery of Kaga (see image below). The artifact is resting upside down in 17,000 feet of water. Also visible on the wreckage are the walkways connecting the gun tubs, an observation platform, and a landing light array (used to help guide pilots to a safe landing aboard the carrier). Follow-up analysis to determine the timing and cause of the artifact's origin is underway. It is hoped that the main hull of Kaga can be located at some time in the future.

Robert Ballard, of RMS Titanic fame, found CV-5 on 19 May 1998. The wreck, 3 miles beneath the surface (a mile deeper than Titanic), was surprisingly intact after having been on the sea bottom since 1942—much paint and equipment were still visible. Certainly can't dive down to it though.

Check this out Lucky....

Midway @ nationalgeographic.com

TO

Ballard also found the Bismark, I remember a documentary also by National Geographic on that expedition.

BTW, great find Messy, I been wondering what happened to the search for the Kaga.

NatGeo had one recently on how he found the Titanic, and worked a deal with the Navy to use some of their equipment for the Titanic search, he only had to find and investigate the Thresher and Scorpion subs to do it. He had some AMAZING footage of all three!

thanks Pong, I wish I had more time to research and read about these wrecks, but only have computer access at work and I know they would not be happy if I spent even more time on here rather than working!:D

I bet working with Ballard to find the ships he has found so far would be a exciting experience, although highly frustarting until they found the ships. I think they spent months searching for Titanic.

I think they spent months searching for Titanic.

Men! With do they NEVER ask for indications? :rolleyes:
Could have done it immediately, if they only had asked the old lady that survived it...

a exciting experience, although highly frustarting until they found the ships

Probably having to check the moneymeter all the time while they're at it... funding must be an even bigger problem than finding the exact location of the sunken ship.

Funding must've been pretty hard to come by before he started finding what he was looking for. Yes, if you fund an expedition that actually finds things, your name goes down in history. If they don't find anything, you're out all that money, with nothing to show for it except a well-documented location that contains nothing of interest. Now, however....I bet all Ballard has to do is provide some idea that he knows the general area, and people will be happy to help out, based on his history so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back