V-22 Osprey Arrives in a combat zone for the first time.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They noted that it would be installed in the "Hell Hole". What is that Mkloby? Just the maintenance bay below deck? I imagine there is not much room in there and that's why they call it the "Hell Hole"?

They noted that it would be installed in the "Hell Hole". What is that Mkloby? Just the maintenance bay below deck? I imagine there is not much room in there and that's why they call it the "Hell Hole"?
I think you're correct - almost every sizable aircraft I've been associated with has one.

The DC-10? It has a "Penthouse."

Here is the March release from Rotor and Wing.

"BAE Systems will develop an interim all-quadrant defensive weapon system for the U.S. Air Force's CV-22 Osprey special-operations aircraft, our sister publication Defense Daily reports..

The $491,000 contract awarded in January by the U.S. Special Operations Command calls for rapid development, installation, testing, and qualification of a weapon capability that provides defensive fire protection to all quadrants of the aircraft.

The contract has a potential value of $16.3 million, according to BAE.

The belly-mounted system (shown at right, bottom) is designed to be remotely operated, BAE said, and capable of delivering accurate, sustained fire throughout the CV-22's flight envelope.

The weapon system is based on the company's Remote Guardian System, an internally-funded effort to develop a common airborne defensive capability. BAE has been investing in the Remote Guardian for more than two years.

Remote Guardian is designed to be belly mounted on the Bell Helicopter/Boeing V-22. It is a turreted weapon system that consists of a turreted sensor and turreted Gatling gun. It will be designed to use the U.S. Marine Corps' GAU 17, a 7.62 mm mini-gun, and the Air Force Special Operations Command's GAU 2, a 7.62 mm Gatling gun.

BAE is also looking at a.50-caliber design and more advanced sensors for Remote Guardian System."

Note the first paragraph says "INTERIM". Hmmmmm. I'm trying to find the pic that is in the latest edition of the magazine online, but I'm too lazy to scan it. I try looking a little more...

Hellhole is the name given to panels where hoists are lowered from the aircraft. I think the name came from downwash blowing all sorts of debris back through the open panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back