Vallejo paints, Model Colour

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ian lanc

Senior Airman
Sep 30, 2007
mansfield, nottinghamshire
Hi Lads,

Anyone had experiances of using Vallejo paints, Model Colour Clear Matt Varnish :?:

eg'

Does it spray good.

Any problems.

How long to dry.

Will it spray straight from the bottle.

Whats the coverege like.

Asking these sort of questions as i'm looking for a better type of clear matt to finish my models in :D

thanks.

ian.

Hi there Ian! I'm using Vallejo Air and Model Color right now for my models. I haven't had any problems at all with them. Just the same wee hickup as with any other manufacturer, the yellow was a pain in the neck...:lol:

:oops: The Vallejo Air sprays direct from the bottle, the cover is rather good I think and it doesn't take ages for it to dry....:D

Haven't tried the Model Colour Clear Matt Varnish yet which was your question...:oops: :oops: :oops: Too much coffee...!

These Vallejo paints are acrylic ones so the time of drying is similar to others colours. It means 4-5 hours but I would leave them for 24 yours to be sure these could be dried fully.

Ian, I've tried probably every type of matt varnish imaginable, both enamel, acrylic and the old polymer stuff, and nearly always had at least one problem somewhere with all of them! The usual stuff - yellowing after a time, drying gloss, or semi-matt, drying too matt with a white deposit etc etc. One I had been using was an artists clear acrylic matt, in a large plastic bottle instead of those piddling small things, which worked very well, and probably still does. However, I left it standing for months, and it is so thick I just can't be ar**d stirring/shaking it for so long!
What I use now is any acrylic matt varnish, mixed with Johnson's Klear, then add a touch of Tamiya Flat Base, until the finish is right, established by trial and error. Too much Flat Base, and it will all turn white when dry! However, it doesn't take long to figure out the proportions, and I use it for dead matt, like the early war 'sooty' black camouflage, 'Night'; matt for 'normal' matt, a very slightly semi-matt, for RAF WW2 camouflage colours,such as Dark Green and Dark Earth, and the sheen of Luftwaffe finishes, which is more between a semi-matt and a gloss.
One of the better acrylics is from Games Workshop, which works very well out of the bottle, but, like most, doesn't dry dead matt - hence the use of the Flat Base. The Humbrol acrylic matt varnish is good also, but in ridiculously small tubs. Whichever you decide on, it MUST be stirred, and stirred and stirred, to mix all the matting agent with the 'carrier'. If not, it'll either dry 'not matt', or leave that white look on the surface.
Cheers,
Terry.

I've only recently used MP (Miniature Paints) matt varnish, but it does a good job. Thinned 50/50 with water it produces a quick drying matt finish after only a few strokes of the airbrush.

As to yellowing only time will tell.

I still have some MicroCoat Flatt that has to be at least 20years old, do you think it's gawn awf!! :)

It might be OK, believe it or not! like you, I had a bottle of the same stuff I got from Hannant's in the early'80's. I found it again about 5 years ago, and was able to use the remainder without problem. It did need a lot of stirring though, as you can imagine. But, once thinned for spraying, it was fine.

I have used it, at the time when you apply it could be white finish, but after some hours is ok. The time to complete dry is about 24h

I can´t find anything to thin it, the only thing good is the Valejjo Thinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back