Varnish on Flat Aluminium.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ron Pearcy

Airman 1st Class
Feb 24, 2018
Market Harborough,UK
I've just airbrushed Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminium on an Arado 196b float. What would be the best way to gloss coat it prior to applying the decals? I have had problems previously glossing on top of metallic type paint. It sort of beads on the surface rather than settling. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Alclad II Aqua Gloss is the best I've used. It is an acrylic, cleans up with water and won't kill the metallic shine on bare metal aircraft. Of course -- since you might be top-coating in some sort of flat after the decals -- that shouldn't matter.

Ed

I just spray painted both Testor's metallic silver on one test strip. Then sprayed Rustoleum metallic on another test strip. Sprayed both with Rustoleum clear coat. Believe it or not, the Rustoleum silver paint and Rustoleum clear coat both reacted with bubbling. The Testor's/Rustoleum clear worked. Go figure.

Funnily enough I've just tried spraying the metallic aluminium with Humbrol gloss varnish and it's perfect.
I Must have used a different paint before. As you say. Go figure.
Thanks anyway.

I've just airbrushed Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminium on an Arado 196b float. What would be the best way to gloss coat it prior to applying the decals? I have had problems previously glossing on top of metallic type paint. It sort of beads on the surface rather than settling. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
I just spray painted both Testor's metallic silver on one test strip. Then sprayed Rustoleum metallic on another test strip. Sprayed both with Rustoleum clear coat. Believe it or not, the Rustoleum silver paint and Rustoleum clear coat both reacted with bubbling. The Testor's/Rustoleum clear worked. Go figure.
I have had a similar issue with Rustoleum. Bubbles when applying the second coat/top coat, even though the detailed parameters noted on the can are followed rigorously.

Just a caution -- beware or enamel topcoats! Every aircraft I built in the 70's with an enamel topcoat has yellowed, probably due to the nature of enamels and their old-time oil bases. Maybe newer ones have a different base, but -- be wary!

Ed

That's true. The old oil clear varnishes used to get the yellowish tone. But the contemporary oil lacquers are of better quality and don't get the yellow tinge so easy.

Just the same, I sincerely thank you for that word of caution. And you Mr. Wurger for your words of reassurance. It's greatly appreciated.

I've used the Tamiya rattle can gloss clear over the rattle can aluminum.
Gives the surface needed for decals.
Then used the Tamiya rattle can flat clear to seal and finish.
They are lacquers, but work a treat.
No blistering, no bubbling, no problem.
However, using the gloss over a High Gloss NMF seems to dull the finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back