'Videos of the Day' an ongoing thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great site reference - will read that. The vid made me wonder who was the official scorer in the Korean War... Allied or Commie... quite a tally of kills on the webpage. Meteors too.

Royzee617 said:
Great site reference - will read that. The vid made me wonder who was the official scorer in the Korean War... Allied or Commie... quite a tally of kills on the webpage. Meteors too.

I think we have to take a little from everyone. We know the 10-to-1 claim ratio by the F-86 was over-exagerrated to say the least but even some of the Russian claims were exaggerated as one site I read stated that there were 800 F-86s in Korea! The Russians also claimed something like 180 F-80s, that would of meant that every F-80 serving in Korea was lost! I think in reality the Russian vs American ratio was probably close to 1 to 1 but overall I think the F-86 had the Mig-15 buy at least 4 to 1...

Certainly the F86 was the better all-round machine and its pilots were on the whole better trained and supported etc. So they should have been able to get the upper hand. Ultimately, however, what counts is gaining air superiority over the battlefield. In that respect the Sabres won and MiGs failed. Plus there are always going to be some jocks who are naturals and can get more kills than average.

What impressed me most was the Sea Fury tally.

On a slightly different tack, what about the Gnat being known as the 'Sabre Slayer' in the Indo-Pak wars?!

Boeing Triple 7 Flypast - Heathrow anniversary. Features that well-informed gentleman of the BBC, Raymond Baxter OBE.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Baxter
He is a great bloke with all the credentials so lacking on the Beeb these days.

Other news:
RAF insiders fear that selling aircraft to offset the Ministry of Defence's contractual obligations to the Eurofighter consortium will not only reduce the number deployed in UK frontline squadrons, but will also produce a spares shortage when the Saudis are inevitably granted priority of supply. Despite MoD denials, RAF Tornado jets were left unserviceable in the 1990s in similar circumstances as the Saudis bought more than 100 as a deterrent to Iraq and Iran and demanded first call on spares.

A-10 Thunderbolt IIs continue taking the fight to the enemy by providing close air support to U.S. and coalition forces participating in Operation Enduring Freedom.
See: http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_004567.php

Other good stuff on this free site.

MW here is the last vid of the day with a Boeing theme.

I have been busy dubbing more clips to mpg today so expect some new stuff over the w/e.

Attachments

• 777_fd_dvcr132_194.mpg
    20.9 MB · Views: 41
Here is a good example - from all too many - of use of muzak which is most inappropriate. A carrier deck is a noisy place....

I reckon it's done to mask the cutting from one 5 second strip to the next. But they could have used something less irritating. Or better still nothing.

Otherwise a nice video methinks.

Attachments

• usn_1_134.mpg
    20.9 MB · Views: 54
Documentaries always have those dodgy 1980s style crappy keyboard music, I dont think anyone actually likes it and it ruins most documentaries. You'd think they could do better by now or at least leave the music off altogether.

Great stuff on the B-17s btw, didn't realise the B-17 was the aircraft that pretty much made Boeing what it is today.

Is it actually possible to see the original Memphis Belle documentary anywhere? I'd quite like to see it.

Cheers chaps!

I have MB somewhere - it was on TV ages ago. Check EBay.

Music on plane docs drives me mad. Seems like as soon as the wheels are in the wells some muzak has to be dubbed on.

Tonight I have been watching Disco Wings latest offerings 'Jetsream'. Stupid name since it includes prop jobs too. It's not bad. Well, yes it is. It is awful. Another missed opportunity. I would like to pay a visit to the people who make these docs and either bribe or threaten them, maybe both. These progs are OK for a few minutes then they drive you nuts. As you know I have moaned about the too rapid intercutting before. These 'docs' crank it up another notch. FCS they must be usually making pop videos for MTV (whargh!) given the dwell time... 5 seconds if you are lucky. Plus another really irritating habit of cutting back just as the plane looks like it is doing something interesting. Maybe I will make a vid clip later on so as to to show you what I mean. I know not everyone can watch Wings and probably thinks I am a spoilt brat for going on about it so much.

BTW Channel 5 (UK) has a doc series on Wednesday night called 'Warplane'....
Warplane (Documentary)
Time - 20:00 - 21:00 (1 hour long)
When - Wednesday 4th January on five
The Fighter.
Documentary tracing the evolution of the warplane from its first manned flight to the foundation of the RAF. It shows how, in World War One, the aeroplane, at first distrusted by military commanders, became invaluable for reconnaissance, artillery spotting and aerial combat.
(Stereo, New Series, Followed by five news at 9, Subtitles)

will watch it and report back. Don't hold out much hope. What can they say that hasn't already been DTD. Why does it always have to be from an historical angle? Not much imagination these tv doc makers. Why not just looking at a plane in detail... ?

Back to naval stuff in WW2 and beyond in this one.

Nice shots towards the end of Bear bombers with clouds forming above the wings...

Attachments

• usn_3_236.wmv
    4 MB · Views: 57
Good to see some Bear footage, they are an impressive looking aircraft and it's quite rare to see video footage of them.

Another thing that bothers me with the history channel type stuff is when they get their facts wrong as they sometimes do. I guess the main problem is that it is such a niche market and they pretty much have it all to themselves so they can do pretty much what they like and we can either take it or leave it.

I'm also a car enthusiast and often the documentaries, such as the ones I have on old rally cars and the like have the same annoying musak which drives me bonkers, especially when the sound of the engines is half the reason you bought the damn thing in the first place

At least with cars the market is a bit broader so you can have a bit more choice and some aren't so bad, plus there are mainstream TV shows like BBCs Topgear and DW Motor und Sport and some others that aren't too bad either.

Thanks chaps!

I agree on all counts. I like watching cars too - and the same applies. Likely also for tanks, trains, bikes, traction engines etc. Music? Bah!

These docs find their way all around the various Sky factual (sic) channels at one time or another. Some really good ones - like the Oz-made Great Planes series seldom comes up again tho.

Top gear is one of our faves - but it too drives me nuts. They get all arty and like their musical overdubs. They are car fans so why don't they shuttup and mute the muzak so we can hear these marvellous motors? They even had a prize for best engine sound and then talked over it! Argh!

Mind you I have tried to capture avaiation sound too. It aint easy. there's always someone twittering on. Sometimes it's even your own family!

I have some vids I have made at Silverstone and Rockingham racetracks so I might post some of these. GTs at Silverstone.... awesome!

I dont mind some of the artsy shots in Topgear most of the time it's pretty slick and makes Fifth gear seem a bit amatuerish, though it's getting a little formulaic now. The talking over engines sounds is particularly annoying especially when they say listen how geat it is then talk over it! Hammond in the DB9 Volante did this, Clarkson in the F430 was a bit better I think we got a few seconds of pure Ferrari V8

The last video is mostly F-4 Phantoms in case anyone was wondering, though a nice shot of an old Sukhoi, and Su-7 I think(?), or one the later updates, dont see those too often.

Users who are viewing this thread