'Videos of the Day' an ongoing thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For a change here is a clip of a band we went to see last night - they are the New Cassettes. They hail from Northampton, UK, and were brilliant but not the headliners. Could not believe it. They are similar to the Futureheads and so on. Sorry there is no sound - my Canon only does video.

Attachments

• new_cassettes_live_at_the_pitz_mk_jan06_207.wmv
    6.4 MB · Views: 28
as i said, it takes a further turn for the worse....

much later on the Tomcat loses the USN's first female fighter jock....

but becomes a film star in the dodgy 'Top Gun'.

Then recently becomes 'The Bombcat'.

An amazing plane that I have only seen aloft once, at a Mildenhall AF years ago. Lovely howling sound as I recall. Sadly that was before I had a camcorder.

Another Sunday treat for you all. F14 program rolls on with more nice footage.

Meanwhile, we had a splendid day despite the weather - two free bands! That makes it 6 this weekend... and I have hit the magic 50 bands for the year!

First lot on are called Moe's Tavern - great rock covers. Second lot were the 'best Pink Floyd Tribute Band in Northampton' (so they say) "Time to Breathe" (a great name taken from the DSOM album). It was their very first public performance and aiside from a few teething troubles with the keyboard, they were in fine form. I made a video of some of it so watch this space as they say.

It would have been a great weekend were it not for one of my cats disgracing himself twice.... (he's the photo I use for my avatar, we call him Dave - my son's idea).

Now it's got worse - I cannot post the attachment. It keeps coming up with 'document contains no data'. Another useful meaningless Windows error message. So you will likely have to wait for a double tomorrow.

The F-14s got to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing aircraft around, always loved the way it looks, like a Spitfire, another aircraft that looks as good as it flies.

Pity they never really gave it the engines it deserved until the end of its life

I agree - an engineering marvel. Then when you factor in the avionics and weapon system. It was way ahead of its time. But needed a lot of maintenance per flight hour I heard. Crazy thing was that it could not always carry a full load of Phoenix missiles in case it had to bring them all back - a full load exceeds max landing weight! Too expensive to ditch one.

The Indian Air Force (IAF) Tuesday sought to set the record of the MIG-21 aircraft straight, quoting statistics to assert that the jet's safety profile has improved "considerably" over the past couple of years.
"The MIG-21's safety record has improved as much as any other aircraft in our fleet. The accident rate has come down from 2.81 (per 10,000 hours of flying) a decade back to 0.6 last year," Director General (Inspection and Safety), IAF Air Marshal P.S. Ahluwalia told reporters here.

"This is as good as any other aircraft in our fleet, which have had a year on year drop in accident rates that now stands at 0.81. Last (financial) year we had only three MIG-21 crashes, which has fallen to two crashes this year.

"Of these, one was due to a bird ingestion in the Bangalore airport and that is a factor that is beyond our control."

Ahluwalia said that there were more factors that determined flight safety statistics than those that met the eye and caused aberrations to be introduced.

"About half our fleet consists of MIG-21s and correspondingly over half the total flying hours are logged by these aircraft. This obviously means that there will be more crashes involving MIG-21s as compared to any other aircraft in the fleet," he said.

Ahluwalia also said that like any other fleet, the MIG-21s underwent fluctuations in accident records.

"There were certain years like 1999, 2001 and 2002 when the accident rate was higher. This is a normal feature that is seen in every kind of aircraft," he said.

Spitfire joins ranks of nation's famous few

Jan 9 2006

By Tim Moynihan

A Midland invention that cleared the skies of the Nazi hordes has been chosen as one of the icons that best represent Britain.

The Spitfire, designed by Reginald Mitchell and produced in thousands at Castle Bromwich in Birmingham, was named in the first dozen in a project aiming to help celebrate the country's cultural treasures.

People can nominate more to build up a list of hundreds, creating a portrait of the nation.

The initiative is being officially launched today, funded by Culture Online, part of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

The other 11 icons are Stonehenge, Punch and Judy, the SS Empire Windrush, Holbein's portrait of Henry VIII, a cup of tea, the FA Cup, Alice in Wonderland, the Routemaster double decker bus, the King James Bible, the Angel of the North and Jerusalem.

The collection will be assembled jigsaw-fashion in an online collection at www.ICONS.org.uk

Searching for Online Video

By Gary Price, News Editor
January 10, 2006
Although Google has been grabbing headlines with the announcement of its forthcoming Google Video Store, many other services let you search for and view many types of video online. These services allow customers to record, search, browse, download and purchase video content online.

http://searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3576231

http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/20051231235130.asp

India versus Americans
by James Dunnigan
There have been several joint training exercises held recently between the U.S. Air Force and the Indian Air Force. The Indians have used their new, Russian designed, Su-30s (an improved model of the Su-27, which is the Russian answer to the U.S. F-15). The Indians have gone up against American F-15s and F-16s. The Indian pilots have been quite successful in these mock dogfights, and very eager to let everyone know about it.

wow that last video was great, excellent in cockpit views for the carrier landing. Love the old colour schemes on the F-14, the light grey over white was much more attractive than the boring all grey they had in later years. But I guess low vis is more important than beauty

Probably some of the most appalling music yet though

Users who are viewing this thread