'Videos of the Day' an ongoing thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I remember catching some tv show on late at night a couple of years ago now when I was doing shift work that was similar to that but more about the stories of famous movies and how they got made and the problems and stuff like that. One of this series happened to be on the movie Tora, Tora, Tora and was most interesting, they also did The Longest Day. Both of which are superior examples compared to their respective modern day equivalents Pearl Harbour and Saving Private Ryan. The fact the some of the actors in the old movies had actually been in the war and that they didn't dumb it down by making germans speak english with an accent or stupid things like that. Sadly modern audiences aren't as clever as they once were, todays main movie audience is thought to be younger teenage boys and thus most (hollywood at least) movies are aimed towards this market.

Mr G - I can't open up the Google thingy which shows you the photo of the Lanc... what program do you need to do this?

Mr R - I agree in part. Band of Brothers was good but IMHO SPR was over-rated and PH was animatronics gone mad with a cliched script. Like so many films these days it was pointless to even bother making it. Make something new and original rather than retreads like King Kong etc. I do not go and pay to see such movies. I am not going to sit in a dark room for over two hours and have my intelligence insulted.

Good fun this Google Earth - was able to see our house.... from space! Wow!

Quite a few other plane-related stuff... imagine you can look down on Duxford, Cosford etc. Saw a C17 at Elmsedorf for ex.

Lakehurst races to upgrade 'brakes' for carrier landings
Friday, January 20, 2006
BY WAYNE WOOLLEY
Star-Ledger Staff

The deck of an aircraft carrier is a place where the digital age and the era of rusty gears and hand cranks collide.

Modern technology comes in the form of an F/A-18 "Super Hornet" fighter jet touching down on the gray metal deck at 170 miles an hour with the weight of a tractor-trailer and a roar you can feel in your fillings. The $60 million aircraft needs to stop in 300 feet or it could plunge into the sea -- or worse. Braking isn't an option.

The only thing between the aircraft and catastrophe is four cables stretched across the carrier deck and attached to a below-deck network of chains, gears, pulleys and hydraulic pistons -- a technology that remains essentially unchanged since Pearl Harbor.

Now, researchers at Naval Air Engineering Station Lakehurst say they're ready to bring the below-deck "arresting gear" into the digital age by using computers to better control the clanking machinery and more hydraulic hardware to replace the chains and gears. The arresting engine, a 65-foot hydraulic piston that's attached to each wire and absorbs the force, will remain. more:
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1137736070211911.xml&coll=1

Users who are viewing this thread