Vietnam Phantoms...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Right....

This one...

VMFA-122%20#13.jpg

...with three gun pods underneath, which I think VMFA-122 were the only unit flying with that set up.
Question is, were they SUU-23/A's or HIPEG's pods?

Jan, I know there was an experiment using extra gun pods but they never saw action, though this may have been a version using more pods(5?). Last night in camp so I'll do some checking in the A.M..

Geo

Those are Mk 4 Mod 0 pods, 3 per aircraft. One centerline and two outboard on the wings devised by VMFA-122 armament team at Da Nang. Developed by the US Navy, this pod is fitted with the Mk 11 Mod 5 20 mm cannon, along with 750 rounds of ammunition. The gun had a reputation for jamming which posed a recoil problem to the aircraft if just one of the wing guns jammed. The high explosive rounds could also tumble and explode in front of the aircraft which then flew into the shrapnel created. It was used on a variety of US Navy and Marine Corps aircraft including the A-4 Skyhawk, F-4 Phantom II, A-7 Corsair II, and OV-10 Bronco. Without a gunsight they were useless in a air-to-air engagements and inaccurate in strafing runs unless frequently boresighted plus the drag induced by the pods reduced performance.
The F4-E finally received an internal 20mm Vulcan cannon

Attachments

• Mk_4_gun_pod_20mm_cannons_c1958.jpg
    Mk_4_gun_pod_20mm_cannons_c1958.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
jan1.jpg

I wonder if that is F-4C Phantom II, 63-7461 in 1967 with USAF 15th TFW.
She crashed on the 20th of December that year she lost control and crashed on the Avon Park Range, FL....

It's the only "C" I can find with "461"....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back