Vietnam story (why my grandpa wasnt killed)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pops-paolo

I will love England forever despite Euro 2020!
May 25, 2021
New Ansterdam
My grandpa was a tank driver during the Vietnam war era yet he was never sent over to Vietnam... Actually, a lot of units like him stayed at home. According to him, his sergeant said all of the inexperienced drafted recruits who had no trade were sent to fight in Vietnam, while experienced high-quality troops stayed home. My Grandfather was a New York City firefighter and a very skilled woodworker (he made some really cool wooden biplanes). I mean it is kind of obvious that they would keep the good troops at home for defense from the soviet union but it was just something that interested me for some reason.

The Army did not send troops to Vietnam because of "quality". It sent them based on what was needed.

Saying anything else is not only wrong, but also an insult to the very soldiers who fought and died there.

Large main battle tanks for instance are not needed as much in jungle warfare. They are needed for open field combat like the kind that would occur on the fields of Western Europe. So those types of units were largely sent to Germany, Korea, and kept in the United States.

Aviation, infantry, artillery, etc., are needed in places like Vietnam. Or are you going to tell that veteran with a "Big Red One" or "Screaming Eagles" patch on his shoulder that he was low quality?

My grandpa was a tank driver during the Vietnam war era yet he was never sent over to Vietnam... Actually, a lot of units like him stayed at home. According to him, his sergeant said all of the inexperienced drafted recruits who had no trade were sent to fight in Vietnam, while experienced high-quality troops stayed home. My Grandfather was a New York City firefighter and a very skilled woodworker (he made some really cool wooden biplanes). I mean it is kind of obvious that they would keep the good troops at home for defense from the soviet union but it was just something that interested me for some reason.

My Brother went to Vietnam, 2 tours during the Tet offensive, was in a place called the A Shau (Pronounced "A shore), ask your grandfather about that. He served with High School drop outs, kids drafted strait out of HS and college grads. I don't know what you mean by "experienced high-quality troops" as if you're talking about solder training and quality, those guys usually found their way in special forces and were in country. If you're talking about a college grad or someone with a trade, they went when their number came up. Stateside soldiers or those sent to Germany or S. Korea were just lucky!

My Grandfather landed on the beaches Normandy. He was a combat engineer. He went on to serve in Korea and Vietnam. I guess that makes him low quality and inexperienced.
alright you guys obviously misunderstood me I never meant to say that people close to you were low lives I or did not have any positive attributes all I am saying is what my grandfather was told by his sergeant

Large main battle tanks for instance are not needed as much in jungle warfare. They are needed for open field combat like the kind that would occur on the fields of Western Europe. So those types of units were largely sent to Germany, Korea, and kept in the United States.

Aviation, infantry, artillery, etc., are needed in places like Vietnam. Or are you going to tell that veteran with a "Big Red One" or "Screaming Eagles" patch on his shoulder that he was low quality?
No I would not

alright you guys obviously misunderstood me I never meant to say that people close to you were low lives I or did not have any positive attributes all I am saying is what my grandfather was told by his sergeant

People talk a lot of shit in the Army. I would know, I served in the Army too. It does not make it true. It's like saying the Marines are a bunch of dumb crayon eaters. Okay maybe that is true (just kidding).

People talk a lot of shit in the Army. I would know, I served in the Army too. It does not make it true. It's like saying the Marines are a bunch of dumb crayon eaters. Okay maybe that is true (just kidding).
lamo I have lots of respect because half of my family was also starving in Africa during ww2 and freezing their butts off during ww1 while fighting for Italy the other half of my family came to america to fight.

A lot of the experienced troops stateside had already been to Vietnam, and waiting to go again.
The only time I was stateside in the Army was while training, or awaiting discharge.

There was a lot of chicken shit, ( as we called it) that you had to endure while serving stateside.
I think that was a deliberate SOP on the Army's part, a lot of guys volunteered for Vietnam just to get away from the CS.

I doubt that anyone one would consider a troop high quality, and experienced if he was serving during wartime, and had never seen combat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back