Vintage Railway Film - The North Eastern Goes Forward - 1962....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

:thumbright:

Just out of curiosity... what type of the diesel is it?

train.jpg

Incredible video thanks for posting. It was filmed in my region just after I was born. My father used to work on those engines and lines, and I used to work in the factory that made the pipes shown. I have had a beer in the pub shown at the start and "Locomotion" on Darlington station used to scare me half to death, the place was always cold and dark and "Locomotion" to a 6 year olds eyes was some sort of infernal machine.

Is it just me, or is the load profile narrower here on the island kingdom....always feels like it when travelling on the trains in Sweden....🤨🤔
You mean the width of the rolling stock?

Aye....always feels narrower here! 🤨🤔
It quite possibly is, one of the problems with doing something you havnt done before is that your decisions cast things in stone forever. Once they decided how high and wide tunnels should be, then they cant go any bigger without shutting down the line for years to dig new ones. Everyone would love higher wider trains on the London underground, but how would you do it? Japanese bullet trains are definitely wider than anything in Europe

Must say that there's been some odd designs, when it comes to the diesel locomotives....quite like the Class 42 though!

View attachment 623281

Source: Wikipedia
Probably to address the same issue of loading gauge. According to this The UK has the most restrictive and Sweden one of the largest in Europe Loading gauge - Wikipedia

Interesting videos, and any places i recognised in the north east and north west. Just shows also, how much freight traffic has moved from rail to congested roads !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back