Vintage Railway Film - The North Eastern Goes Forward - 1962....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Interesting videos, and any places i recognised in the north east and north west. Just shows also, how much freight traffic has moved from rail to congested roads !
Well much of the industry has gone, and actually went very quickly after the video was made, Within 20 years there was only one steel furnace on Teesside, Consett had closed along with almost all the mines in Durham. Fascinating for me was the architecture, even when they were being built I thought they were ugly as a kid. The new control centre Zetland House in Middlesbrough has already been pulled down, this is what is said of it
Zetland House, built in the 1960s across Middlesbrough Railway Station.

Zetland House, built in the 1960s across Middlesbrough Railway Station.
Now demolished and replaced with something more sympathetic.

The whole development along with those in Stockton were Fugly.

Yep, being born and raised on Tyneside, I well remember the decline of various industries, and I also remember such services as the car transporter passenger trains at Newcastle Central Station, which always made me think of the similarity to the cross-Channel air service, carrying cars and their passengers to France.
The videos showed a number of locations I knew, both on Tyneside, and in Manchester, and particularly Macclesfiled, where I now live, and seeing the old steam and diesel locos, and long trains of coaches and freight, brought back many memories.

A surprise to me was finding out some of the lines in Teesside were electrified starting in 1914 with beauties like this
1621086760997.png

WHat used to be a line near my home has been converted to a walk and cycle way but there are still strange looking concrete boxes that housed the electrical supply. picture from wiki British Rail Class EF1 - Wikipedia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back