Vulcan back this year.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I'm a bit late getting this news here, but for those that haven't heard yet, Avro Vulcan XH558 is set to re-join the air show 'circuit' this year.
The bomber was grounded in 2008, after a lengthy and costly restoration, due to a lack of funding. Following an appeal by UK newspaper 'The Mail on Sunday', donations were received totalling around £500,000, towards the target of about £1 million, in the space of one week!
An double-page spread in the newspaper on Sunday 8 March, announced that the aircraft has been saved, and will return to flying this summer.
Out of 19 surviving Vulcans, from a build total of more than 130, XH558 is the only airworthy example, and will celebrate its 50th 'birthday' in May next year.
I'm sure this will be great news for many enthusiasts, and I'm personally pleased, as I live only 5 miles from Woodford, where the Vulcans, and the Lancasters, were built.
Hopefully, I'll be able to see the massive 'tin triangle' over my house sometime this year, as it ploughs its way to an airshow somewhere.

That is brilliant news, 558 was a highlight of childhood trips to Cosford airshow, and it would be a tragedy to see one of the very last 'living' pieces of British aviation history be grounded. So, definitely a trip to Cosford on the cards this year then 8)

Wow!

After watching B-52Gs for years at Griffiss AFB, I wish I could see the Vulcan fly. It is a much prettier bird! I am sure someone here will post video.

Bill G.

The only problem with video is you can't fully experience the noise so loud and low that you feel rather than hear it, which is what you get when it comes over low and slow! It feels like your ears and/or chest will burst at any second! :lol:

The only problem with video is you can't fully experience the noise so loud and low that you feel rather than hear it, which is what you get when it comes over low and slow! It feels like your ears and/or chest will burst at any second! :lol:

That seems to be a common trait of British combat aircraft. They don't need bombs to take out ground troops. They just need to make a low full power pass and nobody can hear anything for about an hour!

I heard how loud other British Aircraft were at airshows when I was stationed in West Germany. So I know what you are saying!

Bill G.

Yep, watching a Vulcan, low and SLOW, then rolling into a vertical, turning climb, you wonder, 'How the h*ll does that thing stay up there?' Then you feel the thunder!!

Yep, watching a Vulcan, low and SLOW, then rolling into a vertical, turning climb, you wonder, 'How the h*ll does that thing stay up there?' Then you feel the thunder!!

I would love to see that one!

If you ever saw a B-52 try that, the result will be one huge fireball!

Bill G.

The Vulcan does seem to defy several laws of physics in some of it's maneuvers! :lol: It truly is an awesome sight to see. As a nipper, it was one of the things that got me truly hooked on aviation. XH558 is something of a national institution here, and that's why time and again, individuals who usually have no interest in aviation at all put their hands in their pockets to keep her flying. She is certainly a very powerful symbol...

I saw a Vulcan at the opening of DFW airport back in the early 70's. I still think I lost a good percentage of my hearing that day watching it fly. It was LOUD!

I can still remember being stood in my grans back garden aged eight and seeing the sky turn black as a Vulcan came over very low and slow. It seemed to fill the whole of my vision and then the sound hit me and I was hooked for life

Sounds about right Magnu, once you've seen, and heard, a Vulcan at low-level, you never forget it!
It still amazes me, that slow, almost silent approach, the graceful departure, then the wall of sound that pummels the brain and rocks the ground!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back