W.A.A.F. on the Wing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Can't even imagine what was going through her head, beside lots of praying and making deals with God. Never really enjoyed jumping out of planes. those first few seconds while you wondered if and how the chute would open. Course, Macho as H*ll we belted out "Blood on the Risers" at every chance

Can't even imagine what was going through her head, beside lots of praying and making deals with God. Never really enjoyed jumping out of planes. those first few seconds while you wondered if and how the chute would open. Course, Macho as H*ll we belted out "Blood on the Risers" at every chance

I hear that. "I'm falling, I'm falling...is it going to work..(SNAP, Thud-chin in chest) Thank God"

On our first freefall a Wren came up with us and she went out first. We were told later that this was quite deliberate as no man dare not jump if a Wren had gone first.

None of this macho stuff for the RN, just shame you into doing it.

On our first freefall a Wren came up with us and she went out first. We were told later that this was quite deliberate as no man dare not jump if a Wren had gone first.

None of this macho stuff for the RN, just shame you into doing it.

I jumped back in the 80s in out in the weeds of Pa. Amongst the jumpers was a guy and his Phillipino wife. The bird goes up with the two of them, she jumps but he didn't. Comes back down. Everyone has a chat with him, "Give it a shot, one way or another it's over in a minute or so", that sort of thing. He goes back up, but didn't go.

I've always thought that he and she probably had a few problems after that. More him than her.

It's much harder alone. I actually remember very little about that first jump, don't even remember jumping out the door. One second hupping across the plane the next in the air. The second jump was much harder

Same here - second jump, you know what's going to happen. And back then (1970), the first few were from a balloon at 800 feet, with a vertical drop, no slipstream to ease the feeling!

Our jumps were first from the 35ft towers, freefall for 15ft then "sprong" as you reached the end of the teather. simulated the chute opening. The lateral drift apparatus. Then the 250ft tower, just like a carnival ride except the chute was actually released. you can see them at the begining of the John Wayne movie "The Green Berets"

Attachments

• 2619415306_8d3ca910cb.jpg
    2619415306_8d3ca910cb.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back