W.A.A.F. on the Wing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
While going through a book I have on the Spitfire (Aero Publishers 1966) I found this odd passage.......

"This Spitfire Mk Vb AB-910 was built in 1941 and delivered to RAF No. 222 Sqdrn. Later it was delivered to 43rd Group and while there was damaged in enemy action. During 1945 an odd event occured with this aircraft while it was stationed at Hubbleleston with the 53rd Operational Training Unit. This was the actual aircraft which took off accidentially with a W.A.A.F. clinging to the tail. The pilot reported tail heaviness but landed the aircraft safely." (There is a pic of a Spitfire with the code letters 'QJ J')

Anybody know more about this event?

:thumbright: Thank you Chris. Now the story makes sense to me. So if I understand correctly there was a woman clinging to the tail?:shock: He landed the plane safe, what shape was she in?!!

Last edited:
Wow.. I've always wondered if one could in theory, manage to grip a tail of an aircraft and fly.. I also heard stories of Germans clinging to JU-52's trying to escape the pocket of Stalingrad. sadly I believe they fell to their deaths.

Thanks Glider. amazing!!!!!!

But there was another incident about flying training. As I mentioned, Kirton had a satellite airfield at nearby Hibaldstow. This was in April 1945, not long I had been posted from Kirton and was in Brussels. It involved a W.A.A.F. flight mechanic, ACW Margaret Horton, and a veteran Spitfire. When an aircraft engine had been serviced, the practice was for the training instructors to run the engine and do a particular test. Margaret had finished work on the Spitfire, when the pilot began this test. It was necessary, if it was windy, for a mechanic to sit on the tail of the aircraft while it taxied to the end of the runway ready for take-off. The mechanics were given the order, 'Tails'. Having got to the runway, the aircraft would pause for the mechanic to drop off. This time the pilot did not pause. Whether he was unaware that the order to 'tail' had been given, nobody knows. He just carried on with Margaret Horton hanging on for grim death, and him unaware that he had a 'passenger' on the tail. 'I thought the aircraft was tail-heavy', he said later. The Spitfire had risen to 800 feet or more when the strange shape of the tailplane was noticed from the ground. The emergency services were called out and the pilot talked back in without being told what had happened. The aircraft landed safely with Margaret Horton still in one piece. Just how daft the machinery of the R.A.F. could be was shown when she was reprimanded for her unofficial flight and charged for the loss of her beret! She was posted later to West Raynham and, despite her ordeal, survived into her eighties.

Chris, both are the same incident. Margaret Horton was on the tail of AB910 when it took off, completed a circuit and landed.
It was standard practice at all Spitfire bases to hold down the tail during engine run-ups, and depending on weather conditions, during taxiing. Normally it would be one (or two) airmen on each tailplane.
Spitfire MkV AB910 is with the BBMF, and I met it a few times, and Margaret once, although very briefly.

I've read stories about fighter pilots taking their sweethearts for a ride in their planes in the same manner as the "Pearl Harbor" movie, but never in my life about a woman hanging onto the tail of a flying aircraft:shock:
Talk about a wild ride!!

What a fantastic story. talk about a panic grip.
Sort of reminds me of the USS Akron (dirigible) trying to dock at San Diego. 3 sailors held onto the ropes as the ship rose into the air. 2 fell and were killed while the third managed to climb the rope into the airship

Bobby, well you could have commented on HOW she developed that powerful grip, i.e. hours manipulating the pilot's joy sticks

Sorry to disappoint you guys, but she leaned across one tail plane, and folded herself around the fin.

Haven't tried THAT one...talk about looking it up... where is that copy of the Karma Sutra...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back