wanted: P-40 picture

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fiftycal

Airman
Dec 29, 2013
hello, im wondering if anyone has a full picture of a P-40N, it was flown by lt dan david in PNG in 1943, it was #49 of the 8th FS 49th FG, its called miss Kathleen II, i need to find the correct paint scheme for it. thanks

Attachments

• 51Lq7whUMfL.jpg
    51Lq7whUMfL.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 263
Review: More Stars in the Sky | IPMS/USA

This link has a thumbnail on the right that has a picture that can be "blown up" to view it better.

Looks like the plane your looking for. Hope it helps!

hi, thanks but the picture is wrong, it was made off a photo of the pilot stading close up on the wing. the aircraft has white leading edges and tail, colored wheel caps, multi colored spinner i think, thats why im looking for a full shot, thanks

I believe they were painted like my GB20 P-40N.
O.D. top, and that blue gray color on the bottom.
White tail and wing leading edges and blue and white spinner, simple.
The one I'm building had a blue tip on the tail.

I believe they were painted like my GB20 P-40N.
O.D. top, and that blue gray color on the bottom.
White tail and wing leading edges and blue and white spinner, simple.
The one I'm building had a blue tip on the tail.

Hi Bill

Being 8th Fighter Squadron kite, around Dec 43 and after they were usually painted with a yellow spinner with a black stripe. Yellow tip to the rudder with a black stripe delineating the border between the yellow tip and the white tail. Other wise as you said with a standard factory OD/NG/MG scheme, plus white wing leading edges. Looking at the photo above, looks like it has yellow wheel caps as well. Hard to tell though due to quality of the photo.

This picture is from the publication 'Protect and Avenge' by Ferguson and Pascalis and shows the general look of the aircraft around late 43 and on. Red border to insignia was deleted or may not have been applied to 49.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• 8th FS colours.jpeg
    8th FS colours.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
According to the Osprey Squadron/Signal 6171 book about the 49th FG, the P-40 wasn't of N variant but E type.

I guess I shoulda been more specific with my post.
By stating my GB20 P-40N, it was with the 78th, not this 49th.
This would have given a hint as to "like" might not meant "same".
Just a place to start.

I guess I shoulda been more specific with my post.
By stating my GB20 P-40N, it was with the 78th, not this 49th.
This would have given a hint as to "like" might not meant "same".
Just a place to start.

No worries Bill. I think fiftycal is looking for specific information and photo about a specific P-40N. The details of this airframe are as follows. Maybe someday this one will be put back in the sky, and that would be a great thing to see. 8)

28711 • P-40N 42-104949
Miss Kathleen II: crashed Hopoi, near Lae PNG
VH-DEA
Reevers Pastoral Pty Ltd, Adelaide SA

Last edited:
Sounds good Peter.. there can be a mistake made by the Squadron/Signal publisher. Here are two pictures of the P-40N "Mary Lou" - Yellow 47.
Initially she serviced in the 8th FS then was re-assigned to the 7th FS servicing with a white number 19. However I would like to make a focus on the spinner that seems to be of the Yellow-Black-Yellow colours in both cases.

P-40N Mary Lou 8FS Yellow47.jpg

P-40N Mary Lou 7FS White19.jpg

I think the same thing happened to "daddy's Girl" from my previous set of pics I posted. It had at one time the number '00' and then was given number '15'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back