Warbird Rides

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
Some years back I posted something in here about rides in warbirds, specifically the museum P-38. At that time, you could join the museum and perhaps wangle a ride. Then a few years back, there was an accident involving a P-51 in Texas that caused the FAA to rescind the permission to give warbird rides. At this time, the Planes of Fame does not have permission to give rides, yet they get many requests for same, usually a request for a P-38 ride.

Until further notice, I have been asked to post that there are no available rides in any warbirds at the museum.

If that changes, I'll post it.

Cheers!

It's really sad, If the passenger is willing to take the risk it should be their choice. The closest I've been to a ride in a warbird was a ride in a Nanchang CJ6 but would love the opportunity to ride in any warbird, Kind of love them all!

We used to be able to offer them, and it may come to pass again, but the FAA is NOT here to promote aviation. They have no reason to help, and that's a shame. If a plane is airworthy and capable of passenger flight, then it should be legal with properly certified pilots. Things aren't always what they SHOULD be, are they?

Last year when the Collings Foundation flight came to our local air port, hops in a P-51 were $2K if I remember.

In 1997 the EAA cold called the now long defunct Aviation Art store I was working in in northern VA and asked me if I knew anyone who would like to go for a ride and fly their B-17G at their Winchester VA Airport stop. Talked to my best friend and we sent in the funds for the full package. My neighbor, the retired B/Group C/O, said he would drive us just to see a B-17 fly again. Talk about once in a lifetime experience! On the flight,there were 7, but only 6 could fit through the bomb bay cat walk. What was weird was that after about half an hour the other 4 went to the back of the plane and my friend and I had the whole front to ourselves and the flight crew.We each got 15 minutes in the left seat of actually flying that great plane. I was in the nose with my camcorder looking out of one of the left windows when my friend started flying as then I watched the left wing dip towards the ground, then go skywards. This went on for a little bit, and I thought it was a blast! Turns out it was my friend, who held a pilots' rating, really having fun.I later heard the conversation between my buddy and the A/C Commander in the right seat went like this: Friend to A/C "you know, that guy in the back didn't look to good during takeoff and in flight". A/C came right back and said with a smile " and you sure as hell aren't making him feel any better flying like this, but what the hell, you know what you are doing, so go ahead!" You all know the rest of that story!

Before we took off, I had asked for permission to ride in the jump seat on landing to film it, permission was granted, it was an absolute blast to be it the cockpit on landing, and very mechanically loud! At the end, the 6 of us who were still walking were talking to the A/C and found out the plane was painted in the pattern of the one he had been shot down, I think, over Berlin. Then he asked, "Ok, who brought log books?" Three of us. myself, my friend and a third guy held them up. The other three were really bummed out to have not thought about this. Then he asked, "who brought a pencil?". None of us had, he had us but was just messing with us and singed us all off. A true once in a lifetime experience!

But it wasn't over! My neighbor had met other WW 2 B-17 veterans and came away with more stories he shared with them from his time on the ground while we were flying. He then announced we were stopping off at Whitepost restorations to see the status of his original owner 1950 Cadillac Coupe de Ville being completely restored, and then we got a really nice hands on tour of that shop from one of the owners in the process.

So, whenever I think I'm in a rut or life isn't being fair, I remember a few days like that I have lived

Was given a certificate for a ride in a Geico Sky Typer SNJ for my birthday on 9/11/2001. Never used it, figured it was jinxed. Still have it. Always wondered if they thought I might have been killed that day...

BFCAC544-5E2A-4266-A5A0-006B05F15F06.jpeg
B818C877-A9BC-4AE5-A7EE-87635D03425F.jpeg
45444585-5CF6-4F3E-BC83-61F0160EF69C.jpeg
I'll be honest, I do not know what the requirements are.... but I know that about 10 years ago I had a ride in the Collings Foundation "909" B-17, courtesy of my wife. This year, I had an hour long flight in their TF-51D (Toulouse Nuts) which was AMAZING! I have heard that the FAA restrictions may have been relaxed. I know that the local Commemorative Airforce chapter is advertising rides on an AT-6, B-25, and B-17. I'm looking forward to the Collings folks coming back again next year, and I'd like to see what a B-25 is like.

For warbird perspectives, check Chris Fahey's Facebook page.

Meanwhile:
Long ago, in the 80s I believe (when I was at the Champlin museum) the FAA rescinded permission for hot ejection seats in jets. THEN somebody asked, um, WHAT IF???
Eventually the absurdity was corrected but the fact that the situation existed at all says much about the Friendly Aviation Agency, whose motto is "We're not happy until you're not happy."

For warbird perspectives, check Chris Fahey's Facebook page.

Meanwhile:
Long ago, in the 80s I believe (when I was at the Champlin museum) the FAA rescinded permission for hot ejection seats in jets. THEN somebody asked, um, WHAT IF???
Eventually the absurdity was corrected but the fact that the situation existed at all says much about the Friendly Aviation Agency, whose motto is "We're not happy until you're not happy."

That came about because there isn't any civilian access to the requires parts and tooling to maintain the systems, so you have time-expired explosive cartridges in the system.
Does this only apply to Paying rides???
Yes, no problems taking a friend for a ride.

Folks - these days warbird rides are dependent on the FAA region and the ops letter issued to the aircraft owner/ operator. The FAA will also consider the type of aircraft, it's maintenance program and who is operating it. During my time working around the L29 and L39, many ops letters indicated that no recreation rides were authorized however the owner operator could do "training" if the aircraft was equipped with dual controls so many "training flights" were bought and sold. Another loophole was stating the flight was conducting photo ops and the passengers were fulfilling the role of "aerial photographer." When I worked at flight systems many T-33 and F-4 rides had a mechanic in the back that served as an observer and our local Feds were OK with that.

Ejection seats - bad news. Many foreign imports had/ have un-maintainable seats as the cartridges for the seats were either no longer manufactured or if available had an expired shelf life. I never liked older seats and I know of only one guy who survived an ejection out of a jet warbird, that happened at Chino around 2000/ 2001. the pilot was pretty banged up and spent many months in the hospital.

Last edited:
Our CAA here finally decided to allow the fare-paying passengers because so many operators were doing things like this to get around the rules. Another one was to sell a share in the aircraft, so the passenger is actually an owner. They then don't pay their monthly fees, and lose the share...

Now we've got a fairly good model that allows everyone to operate safely, and above board.

Went to the EAA website today and looked at Aluminum Overcasts' passenger regulations for the first time since I flew her in 1997. A lot has changed! The flights then had a maximum of 7 people, we were in the air for an honest hour and you got to actually fly the B-17 from the left seat, can't do that anymore, don't know why and if someone does I'd like to know, just out of curiosity. Just found a pic my friend took of me flying her and am going to figure out how to put it up here.

As far as the FAA goes, I only have my parents to go by. Dads' memories starting from 1942 as a mechanic up to 1997 when he retired as Maintenance Manager for American Airlines at DCA, IAD and BWI. He saw some just unbelievably non or bad judgement calls many, many times, said they were more prone to react than act, and called them the fugitives, aliens and asses. My Mother worked for A/A from 1941 until 1960 and said basically the same thing. Just 2 peoples' opinions, but with a lot of history to back it up. My apologies to all the good ones that did and are doing their job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back