Warbird you regret the most that there isn't a single surving example of?

They did find that remarkably intact Me323 off the coast of Greece a few years ago...pity no one is interested in recovering it.

Even the Bv222 in the waters near Trondheim has had more recovery consideration than the Gigant...

The 222 would be amazing too.
 
Fairey Seafox. While not a great airplane, or even a great catapult scout, it did some important service.
Curtiss SOC. As for the Seafox, not a great airplane, but a successful and effective catapult scout/observation plane until Sicily, and a plane that was brought back into service to replace is purported successor.
 
Last edited:
I would say basically all Japanese Army bombers. From what I can find there are 2 Ki-48s and 1 Ki-51 surviving. No Ki-21s, Ki-30s, Ki-32s, etc.

Ki-48 in Moscow
images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcS4a3ekTqoaabDvTJYLqo63r2siXj4qkwOngA8o2-XQCm73MC1n.jpg


Ki-48 in China. Note the replaced engines from perhaps an I-16. My guess is that a captured Ki-48 was refitted with the more familiar and abundant Soviet engines during the war.
IMG_4073.jpg


Ki-51 in Indonesia
Mitsubishi_Ki-51IndonesianAF.jpg
 
Any Merlin-powered, Malcolm-hooded Seafire.

EDIT: hmm.... looks like Wikipedia may be incorrect in reporting that only one Seafire survives.

A quick Google search arrives at this one.... with the Merlin and Malcolm hood I requested. I shall have to attempt to edit the Wikipedia entry.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back