Warbirds firing guns (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've often had the same thought, the sights and sounds of them flying is one thing but it would be nice to get a listen to them working in full anger (from the saftey comfort of my PC in peacetime long after they were doing it for real).

The P40 was 'firing' gas guns. These are 'powered' by Propane gas, and utilise a rotary valve to allow a spaced series of ignition, creating the 'crackle' of gun fire, and muzzle flash. The giveaway is the 'rate of fire', and the lack of empty cases cascading from beneath the wings. The use of blank ammo would be extremely expensive, both in adding blank-firing barrels and ammo. Also, safety rules, especially at airshows, where this video is from, would never allow blanks to be fired, due to the hazard of the falling empty cases.

Thanks for the explanation Airframes!

As Terry suggests, fitting gas guns was a way to imitate the real thing, but in this case the Kittyhawk was fitted with real .50cals that were modified to fire blanks. The film wasn't high enough resolution to show the brass falling. This photo, source unknown, clears it up. It would have been a blast to watch, I'm sure.:)

Found this link for the photo and video.

http://www.beltfedshooters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2495

Attachments

• p40livefirepw5.jpg
    p40livefirepw5.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
We shoot a live blank firing .50 out of the waist of Witchcraft...as well as dropping concrete bombs over our "target" farm field every May,June in Stockton CA during our Bomber Camp.

Jim Harley
Collings Foundation

b242copy.jpg

Thanks Peter and Jim ! It must be great for the shows, and I can understand blanks being fired from a waist gun. Falling cases and concrete bombs are a 'No, No!' at UK shows unfortunately. At small shows, light aircraft used to have a 'bombing competition', dropping small bags of flour, but even this is banned now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back