Warnings for low fuel level (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jenisch

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2011
Hello,

I know that at least the Bf 109 had a horn for alert the pilot when the flaps were not retracted in the take off. WWII aircraft didn't have a horn for the fuel level as well? Again in the German planes, I know there was a red light to warn of low fuel, but would like to know if it was enough to alert the pilot.

I don't know specifics for the -109 but most of the time when a low level light illuminates on a military type aircraft you're usually looking at 20 - 30 minutes fuel remaining. This isn't written in stone and will vary accordingly.

I don't know specifics for the -109 but most of the time when a low level light illuminates on a military type aircraft you're usually looking at 20 - 30 minutes fuel remaining. This isn't written in stone and will vary accordingly.

Yeah. I asked this because modern aircraft warn the pilot of low fuel by some sort of sound warning. Since I know such kind of warning system existed for flaps in some WWII planes, use it for fuel does seems natural to me.

Last edited:
Most of the WW2 fighters would have been so noisy in the cockpit, no audio warning short of a explosion would be heard. Unless it was wired in thru their headphones, and that might blank out other important messages. A low fuel warning of any sort will probably go off early several times in a manuvering fighter.

Right at the end of the war Erich Hartmann ended up in a fight with a group of Mustangs. He dodged the Americans for quite a while when he recounts a fuel out warning light flashing shortly before the engine came to a stop, I had the impression it was only a few minutes. He jumped out of the aircraft. The American leader graciously didn't shoot him in his parachute but saluted as he flew past.

You might use the same amout of fuel under full power in 5 minutes, that would give you a lot more time in the air under cruise power.

I think audio alerts are usually reserved for things that need you immediate attention, like flaps up at certain airspeed, stall warning, gear not down at low airspeed, etc. Something you'd better correct in a few seconds or less.

Most of the WW2 fighters would have been so noisy in the cockpit, no audio warning short of a explosion would be heard..

Many British aircraft of WWII undercarriage warning horn. Most early war pilots had trained on aircraft on which there was no retractable undercarriage and had a propensity for forgetting to lower it.
Steve

Right at the end of the war Erich Hartmann ended up in a fight with a group of Mustangs. He dodged the Americans for quite a while when he recounts a fuel out warning light flashing shortly before the engine came to a stop, I had the impression it was only a few minutes. He jumped out of the aircraft. The American leader graciously didn't shoot him in his parachute but saluted as he flew past.
Understand that most of these warning systems were usually set up for cruise operation. Fly with the throttle wide opened at full rich and yes, you're looking at minutes, again this is not written in stone and will vary depending on aircraft.

Many British aircraft of WWII undercarriage warning horn. Most early war pilots had trained on aircraft on which there was no retractable undercarriage and had a propensity for forgetting to lower it.
Steve
That happens today with aircraft having warning horns. Use of a checklist during landing mitigates that risk.

GUMPS

G - Gas
U - Undercarriage
M - Mixture
P - Propeller
S - Seat belts and Switches

Last edited:
The T-6, P-51 and B-25 have a warning horn on the throttle. If it is retarded to a certain point with the gear up it sets it off...the first time you hear it...it scares the bejeezus out of you. Its LOUD and can be heard over the merlin and R2600's. As mentioned GUMPS and/or a checklist eliminates hearing it. We figure an hour per wing of gas in the T-6 and 51...the 25 holds 670 gallons and burns about a 140 per hour.

jim

I wonder how many good allied pilots and bomber crews died because of that graciousness?

T-41, T-38 and C-141 had horn and light in handle for gear and a flash low fuel level light. Low fuel level light started flashing in C-141 audio was provided by the navigator jumping up and down yelling "OMG we're gonna die!":D.

if he was dodging an enemy 1) he was probably looking more to the rear than at his instrument panel...so the light could have been on for some time...he just noticed it when it was too late..and 2) with him doing wild maneuvers the sensor may not have had the chance to read the fuel level correctly. he may have settled into straight and level flight just long enough for it to get the correct reading...and again too late to do anything but bail.

one of the procedures for landing was to announce to the tower "wheels down and locked"...more to keep that foremost in the pilots mind. a lot of cadets were used to this and as a joke when flying old BT13s used to call in "wheels down and welded" ( since it didnt have retractable gear)..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back