Was the Mosin Nagant ever considered for USA use?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Basket

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 27, 2007
Seems feasible that Mosin should have seen use on the front lines with American forces.
Please enlighten

But in WW1 ? We'd have to make them ourselves, the Russians couldn't even keep themselves supplied.

If we made them ourselves, why do it ?

I've fired 2 different Mosin-Nagants, accurate enough, but the roughest bolt action of any military rifle i've ever tried.
Maybe I had the bad luck to get my hands on two bad examples.

But i've had a No 4, Mk I for many years, got my first deer with one when I was 15.
Maybe that spoils me.

Yeah in ww1
America could have equipped its own forces with Mosin Nagants.
But chose the P14.
So...Mosins were made in USA by Westinghouse and Remington from a 1915 contract with Czarist Russia so why not carry on making them as USA was short of rifles at the beginning of ww1?

Last edited:
They probably chose P14 because it fired the same round as their western front allies.

They would have either had to set up their own logistics for their ammo supply and parts, or change their manufactor process and make some Mosins in .303.
They chose to do neither.

I know some snipers ran up some tremendous scores with the Mosin .

But did they have a choice of rifles ? No.
I think they could have done more or less the same, no matter what they were armed with, within reason.
It was the men, not the rifle .

USA was short of rifles hence use of P14 /m1917
So the Mosin was available and availability goes a long way.
However any Mosin would have to use the 30-06 round which I don't know if that's a big job. Or that the P14 was simply the better rifle.

The US Army did buy 280,000 of the undelivered Mosins, used them for training, and supplied the forces sent to Murmansk .
Plus supplied the Czech legion with 50,000 thru Vladivastok .
The Russians ordered over 3 million Mosins from US arms makers, but less than 1/2 million was delivered before the treaty taking Russia out of the war. Remington and others were in a bad way, no one saw a penny from Russia for the Mosins.

Why more use wasn't made of the rifles that were on hand, or could have been on hand I have no clue.

As indicated above, Moisins do not have the best actions. Nor triggers. Nor barrels. Accuracy is average at best with a bolt action.

As far as the snipers go, they even had a terrible scope (WW II not I) compared to German/Austrian/US offerings. The comment above about the man and not the equipment is valid.

The rounds (7.65 x 54R) compare favorably (in ballistics) to .30-06 and is slightly better than .303. However, they are a rimmed cartridge as opposed to the .30-06 which is rimless. Rimless rounds make for much better feeding into the chamber from the magazine. Rimmed cartridges must be careful in the staggering of rounds in the magazine or they will not feed. Also, this means a completely different bolt must be made to make a .30-06 work in a Moisin... not just a different chamber. This negates any practical reason to use the Moisin with .30-06.

Overall, the Moisin was, like most Russian fare, simple, reliable and rugged. A stone axe amongst scalpels elsewhere. Enfields and Mausers were much better. And that Moisin kick is harder than the sum of its parts. It wouldn't be my last choice in a rifle if given a choice, but nowhere near the top.

It is instructional to note that the US came into WW I rather unprepared and under equipped. Enough men perhaps but not with enough equipment. So it came to be that the US was saddled with many different weapons in order to "make do". The range of weapons went from the very sad and infamous French light machine gun (chauchat) to even lever action rifles! Moisins were employed along with Enfields and older Krags. Mostly used, and most recognizable, is the M1903 Springfield in .30-06. This was a fine rifle modeled from Mausers.

I believe the Mosin wasn't used by USA in combat on the western front. Only as training back home. The only reason US government bought Mosins is to help the company after the collapse of the deal.
I did assume that Mosins couldn't be converted to 30-06 or that they had a dim view of the rifle.
The P14 / M1917 was certainly one of the best rifles if not the best. Far more numerous than the Springfield but not standard issue as such.
The Chauchat is not that bad in 8mm Lebel. I rather like it

I believe the Mosin wasn't used by USA in combat on the western front. Only as training back home. The only reason US government bought Mosins is to help the company after the collapse of the deal.
I did assume that Mosins couldn't be converted to 30-06 or that they had a dim view of the rifle.
The P14 / M1917 was certainly one of the best rifles if not the best. Far more numerous than the Springfield but not standard issue as such.
The Chauchat is not that bad in 8mm Lebel. I rather like it

I agree with you... except on the Chauchat. Terrible contraption. The 8mm Lebel cartridge, while having decent ballistics, was a very odd duck indeed and its very shape and rimmed features made it poor for use in a stacked magazine. The magazine employed was of a open skeleton design that allowed mud and other field debris to muck up the works. No thank you! I am of the opinion that the gun probably killed more of its users than it did enemy in the field due to the frequent malfunctions.

No doubt Chauchat had flaws.
But it's gone down as the worst thing that's ever fired a bullet.
So....I ain't justifying the Chauchat as the perfect weapon system and certainly the American version was terribleness.
Just to have an open mind.
I am sure that on a nice sunny summers day it was wonderful!

Let's agree the Lewis was a much better choice in a light MG.

One didn't find any Chauchats mounted on an airplane anyway.

No doubt Chauchat had flaws.
But it's gone down as the worst thing that's ever fired a bullet.
So....I ain't justifying the Chauchat as the perfect weapon system and certainly the American version was terribleness.
Just to have an open mind.
I am sure that on a nice sunny summers day it was wonderful!
The Chauchat had it's faults to be sure. In quality and magazine. The 8mm Lebel was a quick lash up of the .43 Gras black powder round tapered down for 8mm smokeless use. However, in French service with the 8mm Lebel it was a workable LMG. The worst aspect was the open magazine followed by quality control but it remained in French service post war and was a standard LMG in 7.92mm Mauser in Poland, Belgium and Greece for example.

The USA 30-06 version was badly done and was beyond the existing weapon's capability. Not to mention being from a particularly poor contractor. In the Anglophone world the eminently justifiable complaints of USA troops drowned out other users being satisfied with the Chauchat in other forms. Training 8mm Lebel versions were taken away from US troops for action and they were not at all pleased to have to use the poor 30-06 versions in battle.

So the Chauchat had it's weaknesses but it was an adequate LMG of it's day and many of the weaknesses were progressively addressed, but the USA 30-06 one was uniquely bad however it should not cloud the sterling work done by the rest.

Rimmed cartridges do need care taken in loading magazines to be sure. But if you take the care they are fine. British Commonwealth etc. and Soviet etc. forces used rimmed rounds in bolt action and LMG magazines as well as belted service with little problem. Rimless is better but the difference is less critical than one might think.

I've run into the rimmed round problem with my .303 No.4 Mk I, you have to be careful when hand loading a magazine. If a rim on a upper round is behind the round below it, it will catch on rim below it when you work the bolt, and jamb the action. Usually not difficult to clear, but if your life was at risk i'm sure it would cause loose bowels.

It won't happen if you use the stripper clips, it has only happened to me if I hand loaded one of my magazines. And only with one of my magazines. One magazine you have to make extra effort to insert a round wrong, the other, looser magazine, will let you insert rounds either way.

On a lot of these bolt action rifles the actual manufacturing standards/quality control mean a lot more to their accuracy and shoot-ability than the actual "design". Manufacturing tightened up tolerances quite a bit from the 1890s to the end of WW I. War time and peace time manufacture can also differ substantially.

The 30-06 cartridge is about 7mm longer than the 7.62 X 54Rin overall length. This means it is quite possible that you cannot convert the Mosin-Nagant to 30-06 without stretching the receiver out in length. Which means throwing out a fair number of the jigs/fixtures used to manufacture the receiver/bolt and magazine.
The P-17/P-13 was designed to hold the British .280 cartridge which was similar in size to the 30-06. It was bit over sized for the .303 but was able to hold the 30-06 with only minor modifications to the bolt face/extractor. This allowed for common ammunition. Using two different rifle rounds in the front lines is certainly less than than ideal.

So the Chauchat had it's weaknesses but it was an adequate LMG of it's day and many of the weaknesses were progressively addressed,

It's day was pretty much 1915 to around 1924-25. Pretty much any LMG is better than no LMG and the main redeeming feature of the Chauchat was that it was cheap. It allowed the purchase of more Chauchat LMGs for the same money as buying better designs. I would note that the Poles and Belgians replaced it with versions of the BAR which was hardly a first class LMG either. Although they may have used a changeable barrel version instead of the fixed barrel US version.

P14 was and is fantastic rifle.
The Finns used Mosins but that was pure force majeure.
Chauchat also had long recoil operation same as some early John Browning semi autos. Issue is if you dump a lot of ammo through the Chauchat quickly the barrel will heat up jamming against the barrel sleeve and jamming the gun. You would literally have to wait until barrel cools and you hear clunk before firing again.
Chauchat fired very slow for an auto but it is far better than its reputation suggests.

Watch a Chauchat or Remington Model 8 in very slow motion. Heath Robinson contraption it is!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back