Washi Tape

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Washi tape report. These tapes just needed to be tested for their 'stickiness' as would affect the finish/paint that they are applied to. To test the 'mt' Washi tape I applied a piece of the two widths, 7mm and 15mm, plus an 18mm Tamiya tape piece, as a control, to the fuselage of my sacrificial bird. The tape to the raw plastic was to test their paint edge control. Got to love the colors selected!!

A full area spray of Tamiya XF-65 was applied and let set for a bit over an hour. I then applied the same tapes to the rear fuselage painted area.

After about 3 hours, A coat of Taymia XF-59 was then applied to the rear second taped area. I purposely thinned the paint, almost to the point where it was not covering, with the intent of possibly affecting the tape and/or the paint under the tape.

Zoom in if you wish, but other than the super thinned XF-59 migrating into the panel lines the tape edges held. And more importantly, there was no peel off of any of the first XF-65 coat. If I had really pressed hard on the tapes, where the panel lines bled over, I believe this two would have not happened?

My conclusion? Tamiya, while a great tape, has some competition. I will most likely continue to use the Tamiya brand on build areas where any screw-ups would cause major problems, but for those areas that are more forgiving; why use the high $ stuff?

I need to add that while the Washi tape, in my opinion, is good, it does not want to take any mild bending like Tamiya does.

Users who are viewing this thread