Pastel washing with kits that don't have panel line gaps.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
This Airfix kit I'm working on has the raised rivets but virtually no panel line gaps for the pastel wash to go into. Now what do I do?

Tom

Heres what I would do, I usually do a wash with around 50% paint and %25 thinner and 25% water, since this might strip the paint on your aircraft try a 50/50 paint to thiner ratio, also add a lil water to the mix, just enough so the mix is runny (I would recomend my pattented Rogi formula :D)

Then apply it via paint brush to the raised rivets, just a little to cover them, later on when the paint is dry (I usually do this when the paint is semi dry) take a moist paintbrush (or towel, highly recomended) and remove the "excess" paint thats most likely driped onto parts of the aircraft you didn't want the paint in the first place.

Remember to try this on a spare piece of aircraft that you don't mind ruining, if you put too much thiner it'll strip the paint, not enough water and it won't come off easily when its semi dry.

Hope that helped :)

Igor

P.S. Try it on a sample model first, I don't want to get yelled at for ruining a project :D Please :)

Good idea Igor. Another is to simply wash entire surface with a dark grey or brown mix, then carefully wipe off with a fine cloth in direction of airflow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back