Wellington v He-111

Which was better?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Where's the delete button? I cant find it...

sorry my fault, only the mods can delete posts, when you're a mod you can edit or delete other people's posts...................

Ill go for the wimpy as the better plane just because i like the design althuogh the merlin engined variant looked awful

The Wellington was used quite successfully in the Anti Shipping role, attacking convoys with either bombs or torpedoes, although the HE111 was also used successfully in this role, however there were also some Wellingtons, which had been adapted to carry 2 torpedoes, these were used to deliver torpedoes to Malta, but there were couple of occaisions when these Wellingtons, were used to attack an Axis Convoy. dropping both Torpedoes successfully.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i've just finished a book called "The Ship Busters" which is a very good book, in which the torp wimpies are mentioned quite a bit during the part about operations off malta..................

How can you have a ship in a dam? A ship goes it water and a dam is made (typically) of steel and concrete.

I agree with Toffi the Wellington's design (Barnes Wallis) was what made it an impressive aircraft. The payload was nothing exceptional neither was the performance. but for robustness this plane took some beating.
huge junks of fuslage could be blown away yet this tough plane could maintain its structural integrity. This however was its down fall as this made it a very time consuming plane to build. neither aircraft in your poll (mossi verses lighting) came close to the durability of the Wellington.

The payload was nothing exceptional neither was the performance

when it was commisioned 4,500lbs was pretty much the best you could get, back then it was huge, and that range, my god!!

I would say that, compared to it's direct contemporaries, the range and payload of the Wellington were very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back