mindenroses
Recruit
- 6
- Oct 6, 2022
I'm preparing to build Accurate Miniatures 1/48th scale RAF North American Mustang I and IA kits. For references, I'm relying primaily on Colin Ford excellent Wingleader Photo Achive Number 22. I've also reviewed photos of RAF Mustang Is and Ias that I've collected off the Internet over the years, and have encountered an oddity: A unknown Polish-language publication contrasts a cockpit photo apparently captioned as a Mustang I cockpit whose control column ends in a typical RAF "spade grip," along with another showing North American's plain stick control column. See scan of page attached. Does anyone know if spade grip control columns were actually fitted to Allison-engined RAF Mustangs? I don't read Polish but the text does appear to reference words I interpret as "Mustang," as opposed to "XP-51." On the image with the RAF-style spade grip column, the right cockpit sidewall detail and canopy framing looks like a Mustang rather than any British single-engined aircraft I'm familiar with. Anybody's thoughts or information are much appreciated.
Last edited by a moderator: