Werner Voss and Rhys Davids.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Schtockus

Airman
Mar 19, 2007
Folks I want to ask you a couple of questions about Werner Voss and Rhys Davids. Many sources say that Dr.1 of Voss was painted light blue metallic. I even found coloured photos of Voss's plane displaying this scheme. On the other hand some sources say his plane was in standard green camouflage. Who is right about it? And another question: has anybody got a photo or good profile of Rhys Davids' SE 5 ? Thanks to all in advance.

Attachments

• VossCut.jpg
    VossCut.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,601
  • VossTriplane colour.jpg
    VossTriplane colour.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 173
It has the S.E.5a, but not his specific one. The 3 in the book are all standard olive green fuselage and upper wings, with tan (?) lower wings

Alex Revell's book 'High In The Empty Blue' is the book you want, it has colour plates of both Werner Voss and Rhys Davids aircraft.... Voss's yellow cowling should keep you guessing!
As regards Rhys Davids B Flight SE, it is depicted with a large I on the right top wing and fuselage, a black I on the underside right wing, the serial number on the tail is B625.
As you'll probably know the PC10 used on the SEs could vary from green to chocolate brown. :|

Thanks, Sailor. I quess I have this profile. I very much doubt Voss's plane had a yellow cowling. Black and white photos of his plane show the cowling was dark. What do you think of the colored photos of Voss and his plane?

Thanks, Sailor. I quess I have this profile. I very much doubt Voss's plane had a yellow cowling. Black and white photos of his plane show the cowling was dark. What do you think of the colored photos of Voss and his plane?

I have seen many a British WWII B/W pictures to show yellow markings as dark. Could similar film have been used by the Germans during WWI?

Never mind the colours, one member of B Flight reported Voss was flying an all silver tripe mounted with four machine guns! Top and bottom of it is, even if you read all the personal accounts of the blokes that were there, you'll reach no real definative answer as to wot happened in that manic ten minute dogfight, apart from one... Voss got slotted.
:williamshatter:

Actually painting a Dr.I blue, red or yellow would take less than an hour. Guys reporting the plane was "blue metallic" or silver blue had I quess some reasons to do so. Rhys Davids in a letter to his mother wrote that the triplane hit the ground and went into "thousand sparkling pieces", and Mc Cudden also reported the plane was blue silverish. They all couldn't be blind or daltonics, I believe. The rudder of Voss's plane with 9 bullet holes was sent by Davids back home and it's all blant white. Still the colour of the fuselage and wings remains a mystery. I upload original photos of Voss's plane regarding the topic of yellow cowling. And guys who recoloured these photos also followed some sort of logics, I quess.

Attachments

• Dr1_103__voss_triplane.jpg
    Dr1_103__voss_triplane.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 633
  • DR1_103_17 takeoff.jpg
    DR1_103_17 takeoff.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 147
  • voss near plane.jpg
    voss near plane.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 155
  • rudder2 1.jpg
    rudder2 1.jpg