Westland Whirlwind cutaway (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

skiswimcycle

Airman
Feb 20, 2008
I know the location of a Westland Whirlwind cutaway diagram. (sporting perigrine engines and 4 20mm cannons).
In exchange for an HE-177 cutaway or Ki-44 Shoki cutaway,
I could email it to you.

A British gem in a time of war.

Attachments

• whirlwind-2.gif
    whirlwind-2.gif
    549.9 KB · Views: 1,325
Yep.THX for uploading here, Skiswimcycle.
:thumbleft:

Wurger, you're a 'Technowizard' when it comes to computers. How would someone have uploaded that Whirlwind cutaway? I can only think of scanning. But there are a number of problems with scanning.

Most cutaways are A3 in size. I inquired at a computer shop about an A3 scanner, but they just looked at me and laughed!

Even then how do you completely remove shadows, darkened areas, staples, etc from the magazine or book centre line?

I tried taking two A4 scans and splicing them together, but can't. Even if I could the problem above remains. Any tips?

Hi Graeme,

>Even then how do you completely remove shadows, darkened areas, staples, etc from the magazine or book centre line?

To get an even white background though the scan has some shadows or traces of the text on the backside of the scanned pages, the "curves" function (as I think it's called in software like Photoshop or - free - Gimp) is very useful.

It allows you to assign each source brightness value a target brightness value.

To get rid of the shades, you could for example map all brightness values above 80% to 100% (full brightness).

In a similar way, you could get deep black for the line tracings by assigning all brightness values of 0 to 20% a brightness of 0.

There are no definite values that work for all scans as there is a danger of eliminating light details of the scan by going to 100%, or to "bleed ink" from the black lines by going to 0% of you set the threshold too light. The intermediate brightness values usually occur at the edges of black lines, and if you make them all black, you will get visible pixels and artificially widen the lines.

However, the graphical interface (you can drag points around on a brightness graph, and view the results in a preview) make it easy to find the best combination for each scan by trial and error. Just make sure to check the effect at 100% magnification (or larger) to see the effect on fine detail.

Hope that helps a bit! :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Thanks HoHun. I'll look into "Photoshop".

>Even then how do you completely remove shadows, darkened areas, staples, etc from the magazine or book centre line?

I forgot to mention another significant problem...distortion. Other than tearing the book/magazine apart, so you can place the pages perfectly flat on the scanner, I can't imagine how you can eliminate this?

And getting it to fit in one pass, remains a BIG problem...

Wait a minute, didnt the Wirlwind have two remote controlled gun turrets just behind each engine?
I way be talking about some completely random aircraft, but i'm sure i saw a picture of a Wirlwind with these turrets

Users who are viewing this thread

Back