What about a turbocharged P36? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I saw a reference for a "long nose " version of the p36....what was that or did it even exist.

The P-40 flies just fine. What it needed as a 2-stage supercharger since the UASSC/F removed the turbo that was planned. A lot of people in here gave questioned whether the turbo could have been installed in the airframe, but here we are in a thread about installing one in the exact same arframe with another engine up front. Go figure.

The same people have said what the P-40 need was a Merlin, but the P-40F/L HAD a Merlin and didn't do any better. Naturally, it was a single-stage Merlin. Again, go figure.

All of that history is why I'd opt for a 2-stage, supercharged radial, assuming I was there, had 20-20 hindsight, and anybody actually listened.

I think if you had installed the 2 speed 2 stage P&W 1830 in the P36 airframe, 4 50's max, 1 sheet of armor 100 pounds behind the pilots back and head and you would have had performance like the KI43 had. The last model of the KI43 maxed out at 358 mph with I think 1,180 hp. The P36 did not lose its handling at high speed like many other fighters. If it could do 358 mph at around 20,000 feet, it would have been a handful for any other fighter on the planet at the time

got to remember how all of that figures into weight and balance. you may need to add counter weight or shift something to bring it back to correct CoG or you may end up with some very unsavory flight characteristics.

got to remember how all of that figures into weight and balance. you may need to add counter weight or shift something to bring it back to correct CoG or you may end up with some very unsavory flight characteristics.

Shouldn't be difficult balancing a P&W 1830, after all they hung an Allison V12 on the front and balanced it out

The P-40 flies just fine. What it needed as a 2-stage supercharger since the UASSC/F removed the turbo that was planned. A lot of people in here gave questioned whether the turbo could have been installed in the airframe, but here we are in a thread about installing one in the exact same arframe with another engine up front. Go figure.
The same people have said what the P-40 need was a Merlin, but the P-40F/L HAD a Merlin and didn't do any better. Naturally, it was a single-stage Merlin. Again, go figure.
All of that history is why I'd opt for a 2-stage, supercharged radial, assuming I was there, had 20-20 hindsight, and anybody actually listened.

The USAAC/F never removed the turbo from the original P-40 - it is hard to remove what was not present in the 1st place.
The P-40 came to life exactly because it sported plain vanilla V-1710 - no turbo V-1710, nor the 2-stage R-1830, as neither of the 2 was a viable powerplant in early 1939 when XP-40 won for the Army contract, against the XP-37, XP-38, XP-39, AP-4 and XP-41.
The only P-40 project with turbo was the XP-40H, that was in the design stage when IJN attacked P. Harbor. Curtiss got the contract to produce the P-47 (that they botched up miserably) and P-53/60 development contract(s), that never come to fruititon for one or another reason, the XP-40H got canned.
P-40 grow up as an overweight machine, and indeed not much is going to change when the 1-stage Merlin came aboard, though the speed and climb improved a bit over the P-30E, above 15000 ft. Both P-40E and F were about a ton (~2200 lbs) heavier than the Spitfire V, max weight but without external stores, while either having far less power, or thereabout. And we know that Spitfire V struggled vs. German opposition from mid 1941 on.

So indeed - unless the P-40 gets a considerable increae in engine power, preferably via the 2-stage Merlin or V-1710, it won't fare well vs. Luftwaffe. The lighweight P-40s, the ones in hands of AVG, flown by well trained pilots and using a primitive but workable early warning system, were capable to trash Ki-27s (no surprise) and IJA bombers, while not suffering vs. Ki-43.

I think if you had installed the 2 speed 2 stage P&W 1830 in the P36 airframe, 4 50's max, 1 sheet of armor 100 pounds behind the pilots back and head and you would have had performance like the KI43 had. The last model of the KI43 maxed out at 358 mph with I think 1,180 hp. The P36 did not lose its handling at high speed like many other fighters. If it could do 358 mph at around 20,000 feet, it would have been a handful for any other fighter on the planet at the time

The last model of Ki-43 have had 950-980 HP at ~20000 ft, same power as the 2-stage R-1830 that will be also a bit more draggier. The Soviet I-180 did, as a prototype, ~350 mph with engine giving 1000 HP at ~20000 ft, and it was a tiny aircraft.
~350 mph is great for 1939, very good in 1940, good in 1941, behind the curve in 1942. The 2-stage R-1830 is not available in 1939 in the shape size as it was in 1941.
If 4 HMGs, no bullet proof glass and no self-sealing tanks are the standard, there is no reason not to have the P-39/40/51 outfitted as such, outperforming the proposed P-36 by smaller or bigger margin.

Was there any utility in using the R2180-A as a fighter engine for a P36

Looks like the engine was a flop, at least the pre-war engine of that name. There were two P&W engines named as such, the post war R-2180 was basically half of the Wasp Major of 28 cylinders.

Shouldn't be difficult balancing a P&W 1830, after all they hung an Allison V12 on the front and balanced it out

just a quick look at the 2 planes (P36 and P40 ) it looks like when they put the Allison on they moved the firewall to the rear...closer to the cockpit. it also looks like they extended the fuse and made it longer by 2 sections. that could just be an optical illusion between the pictures I was looking at.

We've been over that before, Tomo. The designer's son says otherwise, and was around him for most of his life. Don Berlin left Curtiss in part because of frustration with not being allowed to make a better fighter. Most of the rest was probably due to inept Curtiss management coupled with good offers elsewhere.

With all due respect to the Mr. Berlin's son, he is mistaken on this one. There we have the talk of an eventually disgrunted Curtiss' employee, and unfortunately it is still a talk. The son was not there when USAF wen't shopping, nor he was at the Curtiss board of directors discussing what to offer, and they were muddling with two designs, plus the XP-40 in 1938/39 time frame.
The XP-37 was the 'turbo XP-40', and while it give some good insight to the people institutions involved, we all know how far that aircraft was away from the viable combat aircraft that was needed ASAP to the USAC/F.

There are two possibilities. You are correct or you are incorrect.

The evidence presented in his talk convinces me the other way, but it never came to pass, and the situation is unlikely to change at this late date, so the end result is the same as if you are correct. In the end, the result is what shapes history, so your position is what people will no doubt believe, for the most part.

You would find one of his talks interesting. At least, I did.

True, but the P-37 was NEVER going to be a fighter. It was an experimental powerplant airframe. The cockpit was way too far back to be practical. That's one of the main reasons why they relocated the turbos on other U.S. planes to behind the cockpit. I'm definitely a tubocharger fan, but not especially of early efforts like WWII fighters. At that time, I believe multi-stage superchargers were the way to go.

In the end, they did just that with the Merlin in the P-51. I would like to have seen it in a P-63D with the bubble canopy. It never happened.

Looking just at airframes, a 2-stage Merlin in a Yak-3 might have been very interesting. Likewise a 2-stage Merlin in a Ki-61. But these are just pipe dreams and not anything realistic. The potential still makes me wonder a bit. Something as small as the shape and location of the carburetor airscoop on a Yak-3 makes 15 - 20 mph difference today. At least on the ones at Reno (not racing, but flying).

Last edited:
True, but the P-37 was NEVER going t be a fighter. It was an experimental powerplant airframe. The cockpit was way too far back to be practical. That's one of the main reasons why they relocated the turbos on other U.S. planes to behind the cockpit.

The P-37 showed them that it wasn't going to work too well - at least at that point in the turbo's evolution.

btw, it wasn't the turbocharger that caused the cockpit to be pushed back on the P-37 - it was the radiator and inter-cooler, both of which were mounted in the space between the engine and the cockpit. The turbocharger was mounted under the engine.

Can't think of a better place for a turbocharger, right under an engine that leaks an occasional bit of oil. The Allison was assembled with Tightseal, and it sometimes weeps a small oil trail. Not much, but a few drips on the hot side of a turbo isn't a good way to keep and airplane in one piece.

Last edited:
If your going to turboocharge something, turbocharge the P36. The B17 and P43 already had the bugs worked out, so turbocharge the P&W 1830, stick the turbo behind the pilot and now you have a plane that can outturn a Spitfire, radial engine toughness and 1200 hp up to 25,000 feet. You could have had this in production in 1940. The P43 flew in 1939.

Last edited:
For some thing, I like the turboed P-36 more than other suggested upgrades.

A turbocharged P36 was the original subject of this thread, we seemed to have talked about everything BUT a turbocharged P36. I wonder how much extra weight a turbocharger would add to the P36?

Bare turbo, B series, weights between 132 and 145 lbs. Add some piping to and fro, regulator, intercooler, should amount up to maybe 200-250 lbs. The table is worth taking a look: link, from here.

The pdf posted here might also be handy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back