What about this Spitfire and P-40B

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Terry, I built a 1/72 B-47E for a guy and received (unsolicited) $250.00 for it. It was the first of two orders after a 100th Bomb Group reunion. The other guy passed away just as I was finishing the 2nd airplane so I just used the decals in the kit. I still have it. I didn't do anything special beyond straight up paint jobs. The 1st received 100th Group markings and tail number but that's it.

I think I might have found a way of divesting myself of some of the models taking up space - and making some cash!!
I've built models in the past, and still do, 'to order', but have only charged the price of the kit, and a little bit on top, as they've mainly been for friends etc. In fact, I'm just about to start on a Harrier GR3 for a friend - as a gift! I think I might look in to this - there are some I build, for example for the GB's, which not only take up a lot of room, but are sometimes, perhaps, not what I'd really wish to keep on permanent display. In the past, this type of model has been given to relatives, ex-aircrew, museums and so on, but in future it might just be a dabble on E-bay!!
I wonder what a 1/32nd scale Beaufighter would fetch........

I think I might have found a way of divesting myself of some of the models taking up space - and making some cash!!
I've built models in the past, and still do, 'to order', but have only charged the price of the kit, and a little bit on top, as they've mainly been for friends etc. In fact, I'm just about to start on a Harrier GR3 for a friend - as a gift! I think I might look in to this - there are some I build, for example for the GB's, which not only take up a lot of room, but are sometimes, perhaps, not what I'd really wish to keep on permanent display. In the past, this type of model has been given to relatives, ex-aircrew, museums and so on, but in future it might just be a dabble on E-bay!!

Contact aviation art houses, send them a portfolio of your work and a listing of the scales of each including their physical (diminutive) dimensions. A rather fetching display is a framed illustration of a particular airplane on a wall with a model placed beneath it on a wooden shelf finished to match the frame sporting the model of the plane in the illustration. Put that together, take a photo and include it with your portfolio. A similar "moment in aviation history" could be an air combat illustration between (national) foes with the models depicted in the scene placed on the shelves to the left and right of the illustration. Make it camera-ready art if you can for the art houses to plug into their ads. They provide the illustrations, you provide the models and shelves. And, don't forget to mention you do commission work as well. Prices? Take a look at those "hand-carved" jobs available on-line, the prices they command and how much more a model with transparent transparencies and truer scale would be intrinsically worth, only cheaper to get. You do your own ciphering. It could provide a bit of spare change.

Contact aviation art houses, send them a portfolio of your work and a listing of the scales of each including their physical (diminutive) dimensions. A rather fetching display is a framed illustration of a particular airplane on a wall with a model placed beneath it on a wooden shelf finished to match the frame sporting the model of the plane in the illustration. Put that together, take a photo and include it with your portfolio. A similar "moment in aviation history" could be an air combat illustration between (national) foes with the models depicted in the scene placed on the shelves to the left and right of the illustration. Make it camera-ready art if you can for the art houses to plug into their ads. They provide the illustrations, you provide the models and shelves. And, don't forget to mention you do commission work as well. Prices? Take a look at those "hand-carved" jobs available on-line, the prices they command and how much more a model with transparent transparencies and truer scale would be intrinsically worth, only cheaper to get. You do your own ciphering. It could provide a bit of spare change.

Given the amount of time you would spend to get the same level of detail, I would say you got a steal. But then again... you wouldn't have to pay me to make a model, I'd do it real cheap. Now if I could just find the time. Good buy!

Given the amount of time you would spend to get the same level of detail, I would say you got a steal. But then again... you wouldn't have to pay me to make a model, I'd do it real cheap. Now if I could just find the time. Good buy!

And I thought you were chiming in Matt because you and only you are the Master of Duplicate Post [-X

Thanks Sweb, I think I might look into this. I've noticed the rise in the 'aviation -collectibles' market recently, and the idea of the illustrations with the models appeals to me also. It's something I've offered, in a small way, with my commissioned paintings in the past so, on a larger market scale, could be a workable ploy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back