What are the Tamiya Colors for a Hurricane MkIID

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jaugernaut

Recruit
Apr 30, 2009
What are the Tamiya Colors for a Hurricane MkIIB-D for 274 squadron? (Also, what color was the lightning bolt across the bulls-eye)?

Hurricane Mk. II B/C?D used in N.Africa were painted with Desert Camo scheme. Tamiya colours for the pattern are,

Dark Earth ( Earth Brown) FS30095/30118 - Tamiya XF52
Mid Stone FS30266 - Tamiya XF60
Azure Blue FS35231 - Tamiya XF18+X14 (mixture)
Dull Red FS30109 - Tamiya XF7 ( for spinners)

For Europe the Mid Stone paint was replaced by Dark Green FS34095/34095/34064/34079 - Tamiya XF61 ( untill 1941). Then Dark Green was used with the Ocean Grey FS36152/36176/36187 - Tamiya XF54 ( introduced instead of the Dark Earth) together as the upper camo scheme paints.For undersides, the Duck Egg Blue or Sky type S FS34583/34504/34672/34424 - Tamiya XF21 was used untill 1941 ,from 1941 the Medium Sea Grey FS36270/36440 - Tamiya XF53

Last edited:
How about the decal markings? All I can come up with is V and the lightning bolt across the bulls-eye. What color was the lightning bolt?

Can you help?

Thanks!

For the lightnings it was the same colour like used for RAF roundels called Isignia Blue ( Dull Blue) FS35044 - Tamiya XF17

Other colours for national markings are

Insignia Yellow FS33538 - Tamiya XF3
Insignia White FS37875/37778/ - Tamiya XF2
Insignia Red FS31136/30109 - Tamiya XF7

Attachments

• 9_9.jpg
    9_9.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 931
  • hurricane 274 Sqdn RAF.jpg
    hurricane 274 Sqdn RAF.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,446
Last edited:
Hey thanks!

It seems like every picture I've seen on the 274th had HL795 and that big ole 'V'. Were those the only markings for that unit?

Maybe since I'm the topic of decals I should have this moved to the decals section?

You are welcome.:)
No wonder, the HL 795 aircraft is almos all around because there is a nice pic of the bird. I have to admit that I haven't seen any other Hurricanes of the unit as well. The squadron code letters were YK and JJ at the end of WW2.

Here the early Hurricane with the unit code.Source unknown.

BTW. The thread is at the correct place.So there is no need to move it.To be honest you wouldn't be able to do it yourself.But it is here and can stay here.All is OK.

Attachments

• Hurricane 274 sqn.jpg
    Hurricane 274 sqn.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 456
The 'V' was the individula code letter for that particular Hurricane at the time. Other aircraft in No.274 Squadron would have had different serial numbers and code letters. Most RAF Hurricane Squadrons in the North African campaign dispensed with the two-letter Squadron code, and only used the individual code letter. Another example of an aircraft from the same squadron during that period is BE397 'H'.
When this unit moved back to the UK, in April 1944, it was equipped first with Spitfire MkIX's, and used the two-letter Squadron codes 'JJ', with an example being MH603 'JJ-K', before re-equipping with the Tempest V.
BTW, you confused me slightly with the term 'bullseye', until I realised you meant the RAF roundel!

He he he Terry. I was confused a little bit as well.But I recalled myself my English coures when my mates and me played Darts in a small inn having some free time. My mate who was always very excited about the game was still screaming "bulls-eye" when hitting the middle of the target.The centre looked exactly like the RAF roundels.

Here a couple profiles with JJ coded Tempests Mk.V of the squadron.

Attachments

• Tempest Mk V 274 Sqn JJ_M.jpg
    Tempest Mk V 274 Sqn JJ_M.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 307
  • Tempest Mk V 274 Sqn JJ_T.jpg
    Tempest Mk V 274 Sqn JJ_T.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 335
  • TempestMkV_274Sqn_1944.jpg
    TempestMkV_274Sqn_1944.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
.....you confused me slightly with the term 'bullseye', until I realised you meant the RAF roundel!

Yeah I was a bit nervous about using that term but like my signature says.....I know nuthin....nuthin...Lol! :oops:

Gentleman, were else can I find more info on this unit during the Africa campaign? I really dig that lightning bolt and I am going to use it. Problem is from the littlle I've read this unit mostly flew IIB/C's during the ground assuault. I intend to put it on a IID...the 'tankbuster'. It may not be historically correct, but fictionally it may pass.

The way war moves who know's? Maybe some high ranking renegade pilot commisioned a IID for this one shot deal and did'nt make it?

Another reason I dig this emblem is it was unofficial and this unit may have been comprised of many various other colonial and natiional forces.

Last edited:
Nice profiles Wojtek!
I've only got a very brief history of the Squadron, which shows that they commenced their operations in North Africa in August 1940, and in December the same year, were involved in fighter sweeps over the Western Desert, with some defensive operations in Egypt, until May 1942.
They were then equipped as fighter bombers, with Hurricane IIB's and IIC's, being active in the ground attack role during the Battle of El Alamein, before moving through Libya, utilising captured airfields. When they reached Tunisia, the Squadron was again employed in the air defence role, with cover for coastal convoys being their main duties, and at this time received some Spitfire MkV's., with which they were completely re-equipped upon moving to Cyprus in September 1943.
A move to Italy followed in February '44, with Spitfire MkIX's, where they undertook fighter sweeps over Yugoslavia and Albania.
In April 1944, the Squadron were at Hornchurch, England, preparing for the Invasion of Europe, and re-equipped with Tempests in August '44.
On September 7th 1945, the Squadron was re-numbered 174 Squadron.
You might find more info if you do a 'Google' under '274 Squadron, Royal Air Force', as there are normally squadron histories available, either through the RAF Museum, or RAF archives (MoD), and probably through Wikipedia.
Hope this helps a bit, but it seems they didn't use Hurricane IID's !

I think you are right Terry.They could never use the Hurricane Mk.IID.Also I went through these mentined sites and some my materials but didn't find any info about it.

Awesome,

One final question: Is Tamiya Cockpit green the same as British interior grey-green?

I know of this formula: XF5:1 + XF21:3 + XF65:=INTERIOR GREEN

But I've found others say that XF-71, (Cockpit Green), is the same.

As Gunze Sangyo H70, (RLM Grey 02), is a good substitute.

What do you think?

Ah! This question arose only a few days ago! Can't remember which thread - oh, yes I can. It was 'Colour Green', by Ellis.
The short answer is NO, the Tamiya colour is not the same. There are various mixes and alternatives given in the above mentioned thread, which should help you, and I think a pic or two of the 'real thing' on a Spitfire cockpit.

The RAF cockpit green was FS34226/34227/34373/34128. So I have found a few samples of the colours.Also I found the XF71 sample.Comparing to these FS samples the Tamiya doesn't look wrong. Of course the real paint can be of different tonality than the one on the monitor screen but if the paint looks like the sample in reality it can be used as the RAF cockpit green.To get a better tonality I would suggest trying to mix the XF71 paint with a little of white, yellow, black for instance.I think that the Tamiya colour can be used as the base and with some weathering it can look good.

Attachments

• RAF cockpit green FS 34128.jpg
    RAF cockpit green FS 34128.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 320
  • RAF cockpit green FS 34373.jpg
    RAF cockpit green FS 34373.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 290
  • RAF cockpit green FS 34227.jpg
    RAF cockpit green FS 34227.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 265
  • RAF cockpit green FS 34226.jpg
    RAF cockpit green FS 34226.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 293
  • RAF cockpit green Tamiya.jpg
    RAF cockpit green Tamiya.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 877
Last edited:
Nice info Wojtek. You're right though, it doesn't look quite the right tone on the monitor screen - should be quite a bit lighter, especially allowing for 'scale effect'.

Yep.. that's way I has suggested adding a drop of white or light grey paints to get the lighter tonality. Also I have had a look at the Humbrol 78 I usually use for the RAF cockpit interiors and have to say that both colours look quite similar.

100_8167.jpg
100_8160.jpg
100_8176.jpg
100_8179.jpg
Very Nice.jpg

Well it almost took two years but I'm done. This is a fictional aircraft of the 211th Group No.7 SAAF Sq during the retreat of German forces at El Alamein. I used an early Airfix Mk I kit for beginners because my son had already started it and had no intention on finishing. It took lots of effort to convert it to a Mk IID. I eventually grew tired of it since everytime I'd attempt to add more detail I'd break detail I had already completed. My back, eyesight and brain were sore from overindulging into this craft. After a 15 year hiatus, I may very well wait for another decade or so before I attempt this again. I pretty much used only the kit's parts since I'm too cheap to buy more stuff. Brass tubing was used for the 40MM cannons and homemade decals on Photoshop 7. I am really disappointed at my effort but my son is not.

Don't be so hard on yourself, you've done a good job there! OK, the Mk1 nose and prop spinner were shorter than the MkII, but it's not really noticeable. Overall, a very nicely presented model.

.....OK, the Mk1 nose and prop spinner were shorter than the MkII......

Lol! Woe...Yous guys are good, (had a feeling you'd catch that). But I made up for it some...(theres nothing better than Milliput to save the day)... :toothy7:

100_6056.JPG

100_6022.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back