What do you think about the Ki-44?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just Schmidt

Senior Airman
Jul 19, 2010
Tromsø
I always liked the looks of the plane, somewhat tubby yet with elegant lines. Its stats looks good for a Japanese mid-war fighter (here i'm thinking of the Ki-44 II), and fifty years ago I first read that it dived and climbed well. The armament of the early variants was nothing to brag about, but better than the Ki-43. I never heard about any issues with reliability, and it (again the -II) should be a match for the not so lucky Ki-61. But I've never encountered any solid information on actual achievements. reading Bloody Shambles i got the impression that it did little better than the Ki 43 over Burma, both the earliest model but also later in the war. With (from memory) 1225 produced, it should have had a chance of making a bigger impact than the 'parallel' J2M that did have reliability issues.

The comparison with the Ki-43 may not damn it as much as some may think. With time i have come to believe that this is underrated, though it certainly had its limitations and in no way had stellar performance. But one point where it decidedly IS underrated is where the zero early war got credit for many of its achievements, everything with a radial and a bubble canopy being identified as zeroes. And at least the models with 12.7 mil guns were better off armaments-wise than a zero that had expended its cannon ammunition, at least until the A6M5's got heavier machine guns. And the manouverability of the Ki-43 did not suffer as much as the zero at higher speeds. It does seem to have suffered somewhat from lighter construction though, but as Justin Pyke (appearing on both Drachinifel and Military aviation history youtube channels, it should be this one):

cited statistics from new Guinea where really confirmed kill rate between Ki-43 and Thunderbolts were around 2:1 in favour of the latter. Though from a small statistic sample, that surprized me. This was quite a digression, back to the Ki-44.

For the late war it was certainly falling behind the curve though avoiding the trouble connected with any plane using the Homare. But mid (pacific-)war it should not compare badly to P-40's and P-39's, or even the Hellcats while the early P-38 should not have too much of speed advantage. It may not, however, have been flown to its strengths, as Japanese army pilots seem to have clung more to dog-fighting (again according to Justin Pyke the Japanese navy over China and early Pasific war preferred power tactics). Later dog-fighting may have been the only area where the zero still had an edge. But to again compare the Ki 43 and 44, in late war the 44 may not have had much superior manouverability compared to allied fighters while it decidedly performed worse. That may have left the 43 the only one who had a clearly superior trait, even if it was extremely hard to capitalize on and the gulf in performance was even wider. Context is important, and I may easily overlook some important aspect.

Some here certainly shows the Ki-44 some respect, while others do not (somebody termed it 'mediocre' at one point), but I would be grateful to anybody who would take the time and trouble to give their reasoned opinion (together with hard facts they may have gathered) about this little fighter.

PS there's some info in this thread I dug up after writing the above, but that only sharpened my appetite:

Things are relative. Compared to a Ki 43 the Ki44 lacked maneuverability and turning ability.

A Ki-44IIb had a wing loading of around 37-38lbs/sq/ft. It also had similar butterfly flaps to the Ki-43 so it may out turn planes with similar or a bit lower wing loading.

There is also fate/luck. Some the Ki-44s were kept in the home Islands after Doolittle's raid for home defense so that they were not common on the front lines and so established no reputation one way or the other.

It's worth remembering the Ki-44 was designed from the outset as an interceptor, it wasn't supposed to be manoeuvrable like the Ki-43. It did have a superior climb and dive rate, key features of an interceptor. Japanese pilots criticised it for its high landing speed compared to the Ki-43 and its lack of manoeuvrability, but that wasn't what the type was about.

As often said, seasoned pilots did not like the Ki-44 with less maneuverability but the army flight school students were able to fly and land it as freely as they wanted after 20 hours flight lesson. I think the Ki-44 was a new fighter for a new pilot.
Too bad (for Japan) that they didn't focus on and scale up the making of new pilots.

From Ki-44 'Tojo' Aces of World War 2:
"...veteran ace Tex Hill expressed doubt about the P-51(A)'s ability to fight the
Tojo, stating, 'I don't think we can beat these new Japs in the air'."
That was immediately after seeing the acceleration and climbing abilities of the Ki 44.
Flt Sgt R. W. G. Cross of the RAF noted in a report that Ki-44s were able to keep up
with him in level flight and had a climbing speed comparable to his Spitfire VIII.
The altitude stated in his report was 18,000 ft.

Stated by the author of the Ki.44, "...a rapid roll rate, outstanding dive characteristics
and excellent gun platform."

"Nakajima test pilot Hayashi had dived the aircraft 9,480 ft. to reach a speed of 528
mph, without experiencing any adverse handling characteristics whatsoever."

"...by the late war period it was determined that even relatively inexperienced pilots
who had no preconceptions of flying earlier highly maneuverable aircraft such as the
Nakajima Ki.27 and Ki.43 could cope with the Ki.44 satisfactorily."

Last edited:
Gentlemen:

I have read that the Ki 44 IIb "had its way with the slower and less maneuverable P-40E and P-38's of the 14th​ AF. "It wasn't until the arrival of the P-51B in China that the US had an aircraft that could match it." (1)

Captain Eric Brown concluded that (Ki-44) "was a match for both the Hellcat and Corsair except in firepower and acceleration in a dive. Its size made it a difficult target, and with the advantage of normally operating at short range in a defensive role, it was unencumbered. Still, the aircraft lacked adequate armor production." (2)

TOJO- Too little is known about this new plane to permit positive assertions beyond the statement that it has a very good rate of climb and will make 370 mph at 18,000 feet. Those who have had contact with the TOJO have found that the best way to evade an attack is to go into a high-speed dive. (3)

The above agrees (and hopefully supplements) the data posted by Corsning.
IMHO. a well-flown Ki.44 would be a handful for Allied fighters.

FYI

Eagledad

Sources:
(1) Nakajima Ki.44 Shoki Ia,b.c/IIa,b,c in Japanese Army Air Force Service by Richard M Bueschel
(2) Duels in the Sky by Captain Eric M Brown, page 176
(3) Combat Tactics in the SouthWest Pacific Area, By Major
Thomas B. McGuire, Jr, 4 May 1944.

I have always liked the Ki44 it's main drawback seems to have been it's armament. Swap at least 2 of the 12.7mm guns for 20mm and fit more wing guns.

Build them in big numbers replacing the Ki43 on the production lines and the Army might not have needed the faster but more fragile Ki61 and Ki84.

Production numbers are pathetic the most produced in one month was 85 in April 44.

Here's my 3-view of it that I drew.

To me, it has always looked "right." I especially like that the rudder is aft of the horizontal, making it more effective in a spin situation ... sort of like a long-fuselage P-40M.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Ki44_2.jpg
    Ki44_2.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 692
Last edited:
Continued the lack of protection and firepower of other Japanese fighters. It wasn't until the Ki-84 that we saw something approaching a balance of protection, performance and firepower.

They should have really swapped those .50 cal guns in the wings for a pair of 20mm cannons. And yet the -II version of the Ki-44 had provisions for underwings gun pods, like the some German aircrafts of the time.

Build them in big numbers replacing the Ki43 on the production lines and the Army might not have needed the faster but more fragile Ki61 and Ki84.
The ki-84 was unreliable due to its engine, but the Ki-61 was the most 'western like' aircraft Japan had, including better armor (especially in the 2nd version). I've read conflicting stories about the reliability of the Japanese copy of the DB601 engine (the navy hated it, but I think for the same reason why most navies operated aircooled engines only), but -in retrospect- if the IJA had fielded more Ki-61 in place of the KI-43, they might have obtained better results.

Last edited:
A 3 part series on the Ki-44:

Banzai Japanese Aviation Series: Ki-44 Shoki - Nakajima's Red-headed Stepchild, Part 1

Banzai Japanese Aviation Series: Ki-44 Shoki - Nakajima's Red-headed Stepchild, Part 2

Banzai Japanese Aviation Series: Ki-44 Shoki - Nakajima's Red-headed Stepchild, Part 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back