WHAT "DUD" WOULD YOU FLY?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This:
I-16-2_Lone_Star_Flight_museum.jpg

And This:
f2a-3_brewster_buffalo__8-1942.jpg

FLYBOYJ said:
DIGBY - BOLO WHAT THE HELL'S GOING ON HERE :shock:

Hey, but it did sink a SUB (I hate those things ya know! :letitallout: ).

Picture this; You're a suave pilot in a nightclub, 1943, you go up to a beautiful gal just admiring your two-tone USAAF uniform with those shinny silver wings, or your stunning blue RCAF uniform with those gorgeous bullion wings, and say "I fly a Digby," or "I fly a Bolo." 8-[

IF YOU WERE HER, WHAT WOULD YOU SAY!

Now I know why pilots lie! :^o
Well, at least the RCAF guy can say "I got a U-boat". ;)

:lol:

Hey SeaNorris, where was that first pic taken? I'm just curious. Officially we're supposed to provide sources with our pics too. Remember that please.

Thats what Id fly, the Brewster Buffalo. It was a wierd aircraft, with its unique belly window and its odd landing gear, that I believe has a little bit of an undeserved reputation. Most of the Buffalo's bad reputation comes from accounts of Marines flying the Buffalo during the Japanese invasion of Midway. Most accounts state that the main reason the Buffalo was outdone was basically because the Marines were using WWI dogfighting tactics against the Zero. Since the Zero could simply turn inside the Buffalo they were dead meat.

Yep - Agreed. It would seem like a cool aircraft to train in which many pilots did after the "Midway Massacre."

Another dud that I wouldn't mind flying would be the Blenhiem fighter. The idea was sound enough but who had the idea of putting the guns in a drag inducing dustbin should have been shot.
It would have been simple enough to put them in the nose. The weight should have been OK as the plane was designed to have a bombaimer in the nose who wouldn't have been needed.

A variation would be what to do with a plane that was a dud. In this catagory I think we could have made a half decent GA plane out of the Defiant. Take the turret out and put in a 'normal' back seat gunner saving the weight of the turret, which I think was around 800Ibs (open to comment as thats a long gone memory). It should have been possible to put some guns in the wings and there you have it. A close to 300 mph GA plane which was something that we didn't have until many years later.
Not ideal I admit, but better than trying to use Blenhiems with one forward firing LMG.

The Lizzie was a sleeper. In another life she would of been a fighter, no wait a bomber, no wait an attack aircraft, no wait......

Know what I mean? ;)

The Lizzie was very good at what she did and therefore I don't think you could ever call it a dud.
Am I right in thinking that the first german plane shot down by the RAF in WW2 was shot down by a lysander.

That's correct. It also got itself involved doing many things that it wasn't intended for. Light bomber, ground attack, and somethimes fighter, and although sometimes mauled by enemy fighters, once in awhile it did things that surprised all, including downing other aircraft!

It's not clear to me what constitutes a "dud" for the purposes of this discussion. I figure the FM-2 Wildcat would have to qualify though in light of the P-40 making the list.

For some reason (I really can't put my finger on it), I find a certain elegance to the F-4 that transcends its, ahem ... mediocre performance.

f4f-4_41.jpg

Performance wasn't that good, but it did one heck of a good job with the USN before the Hellcat came onto the scene. BUt I agree, it did have a certain elegance. To see one fly is great. The RAF Martlett version was the hands down show favorite at Camarillo last year.

Attachments

• 0martlet9_135.jpg
    0martlet9_135.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 294
I'd have liked to fly a Stirling, the only reason it was dislike was because it didn't have a high enough ceiling (the Air Ministry wanted it to fit into it's 100foot wide hangers so they shortened the wings). Apparently it was very manouverable for a bomber

yes all RAF heavies were renowned for their manouverability, many pilots saying they handled more like fighters than four engined bombers, but yes the stirling must be counted as a dud, and i believe the Marlet was french was it not??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back