WHAT "DUD" WOULD YOU FLY?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No, the Martlet was RAF. There were some ordered by France, but not delivered before the surrender to the Germans. Those aircraft were diverted to the British order.

The Martlet is of course the Wildcat and was ordered by the French and the British. When France fell their order was taken over by the British and all the planes were I believe passed to the Fleet Air Arm.
I am not aware of the RAF using them although a small number were used in the desert as part of a composite squadron with RAF Hurricanes.

I think the wildcat was a good aircraft and certianly no dud in its day.

Attachments

• martlet_193.jpg
    martlet_193.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 428
Very true and nice pic! I think the Marlet and Wildcat got a bad rap but when you study these aircraft in depth, they did remarkably well against the fighters they came up against, many of which outclassed em.'

Here'a a real dud - the Kyushu Q1W "Tokai" AKA "Lorna." This was the Japanese answer to ASW requirements in the Pacific. Considering how many allied subs were in the Pacific and their successes, I'd say this was a real dud.

Attachments

• q1w-i_186.jpg
    q1w-i_186.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 409
Think their doing one up at Duxford I believe for a static only Fly where' that pic now?????????? ah here you go FBJ

Attachments

• anson_837.jpg
    anson_837.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 374
Can the Fw-189 be considered a dud? Id love to fly one of them.

I dunno if I was dreaming this or what, but I seem to remember seeing something about an FW189 being restored to flying condition. Did anyone else see anything about this?

trackend said:
Think their doing one up at Duxford I believe for a static only Fly where' that pic now?????????? ah here you go FBJ

Nice Track - I built the old Airfix kit with those same colors. How would you like to be in that turret with 3 -109s chasing you down! :shock:

How can the Fw-189 be considered a "dud" - it was only a spotter plane wasn't it? Or was it just relegated to that?

True it was, but I think it suffered sadly when encounterd by opposing fighters, although I read it was manuevable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back