What is the Difference? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice work Switch, looks good.
Mike, an alternative is to build the model as normal, but cut sections out of one side, possibly adding a 'skeleton' of the interior structure (ribs, longerons, stringers etc), leaving the interior on this side exposed.
The model can be displayed with the 'solid' side towards the viewer, and turned to view the interior when desired, rather like real, sectioned aircraft, sometimes seen in museums.

Switcha, OK, now i see the pics, that is really excellent, nice idea, the sections easily stay in place and remain easily removable.
airframes, i like your idea too but what would i use to make those items?

Switcha, OK, now i see the pics, that is really excellent, nice idea, the sections easily stay in place and remain easily removable.
airframes, i like your idea too but what would i use to make those items?

Many thanks for the positive comments on the model but I'm glad my skills have improved from there.:oops:
The material Airframes is talking about is styrene strips in various shapes sizes, usually available from hobby shops. Don't be afraid to use anything you can get your hands on though as bits of wire, pen parts, kids broken toys and even foil from coffee tins all come in handy for making 'stuff' inside wings or fuselages.
Is the kit your doing the Revell/Monogram kit?

Switcha's answered the question - basically anything your ingenuity allows you to utilise will do the job, and the 'open' areas don't need the framework if you don't wish to add it.

Mine is the Revell kit and don't give me too much credit, ingenuity is something i'm short of. i really admire people who can stretch old sprue into windshield wipers or whittle old toothpicks into a Old Ironsides model. so my cut-outs will be clear. i'm more a workman than an artist

Probably the best way to do it - it'll give an un-cluttered view into the interior then. The Revell kit is the Monogram kit BTW - not sure if it has any moulded internal framework, but if not, it's a fairly simple, if sometimes time-consuming job to add whatever you feel is required, using thin plastic strip, and card cut to shape where required. Plastic (card) sheets, strip, rod, and various 'angles', such as 'H' beam, are available in various gauges/sizes from Evergreen. This is stocked by most good model outlets, and can be viewed on their web-site. just 'Google' Evergreen Modelling products, and you should find them.
Hope this helps.

why dont they make the fuselage in clear plastic then you can paint what you like? Or is it difficult to make clear plastic?

Mine is the Revell kit and don't give me too much credit, ingenuity is something i'm short of. i really admire people who can stretch old sprue into windshield wipers or whittle old toothpicks into a Old Ironsides model. so my cut-outs will be clear. i'm more a workman than an artist

Ohh Mike I hear you on the ingenuity thing, I have none of it either LOL. I've pinched all of mine from other modelers.

Where i made the cut outs in my model seemed to be the most logical places to show the detail, Cockpit roof, First bomb bay, Second bomb bay and rear crew compartment. The only thing I would do different if I even pulled that kit on again is I would extend the cockpit cut out back a bit further so as to show off the navigators/flight enginneers work area better.The straight edges of the cut outs made it more business like and hides the edges a bit better when the model was all together.

I forgot to tell you about on of my favourite scrtach building materials, Soft drink (soda) cans. Cut the tops bottoms off with what ever you have,cut down the middle and you have a sheet of wonderful, easy to work with metal. It cuts easily with scissors, bends well into clips, hose clamps, bomb bay hinges etc and looks totally realistic as damaged wing spars once you mangle it a little bit. Just DON'T use the wife's dress making scissors.

tail end charlie - why dont they make the fuselage in clear plastic then you can paint what you like? Or is it difficult to make clear plastic?

Trumpeter has done this with a few of their kits, I have just recently bouoght a 1/32 P-51B 1/32 Dauntless, both have whole clear sides. In all honesty I was excited about this until I had a good look at the clear parts. All of the internal moulding is still on these parts as they are just the same as the normal parts and this distorts your view inside, plus with all the internal mounting points for other parts it starts to look ugly. Great Idea on Trumpeters part but to get it to look great it is still going to require a lot of thought on how to pull it off. The other problem is that clear plastic is usually more brittle than the normal styrene plastic. I have not had any experience with Trumpeter clear styrene but time will tell. A quick experiment is to grab a left over sprue of normal plastic a clear sprue. Bend them and the normal styrene usually bends a lot before it breaks but the clear styrene breaks before you get even a decent bend in it.

Sorry for the story but I'm home with a head cold and everything else I try to do is not working and I need a modeling FIX.
Cheers Switch

For most kits, the interior detail is in the cockpit. it would be simple to make a canopy that would open yet companies seldom do. the F-105 was one of the few that allowed me to glue it open to show the interior detail. clear plastic is really not all that clear and it scratches very easily, then in a small scale kit the bends distort the view so it only really works well on large scale kits, 1/32 or bigger

well thanks for the replies kinda was'nt expecting this many, but I went and paint'ed them rlm 66 with a dry brush of 74. I'm up to the last steps but unfortunitly I broke the front part of the canopy so now I got to order a replacement.

If I had a cammera I'd post pictures but no camera and I know nothing about these digital cameras anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back