What is the Difference? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TimEwers

Airman 1st Class
Aug 28, 2010
between black and flat black?. Just got my kit the other day been looking over the instructions seeing what paint I need to get,and it says to paint the tires flat black and hub part black.

Is there that big of a differance between the two colors,or can I get away with just the black which I have.

Thanks

what cap vick is saying is flat is flat, does not reflect light, the difference between black rubber, which is flat and patent-leather shoes which everyone knows reflects up or are shiny. military color are invariably flats. go to any hardware store and look at wall paints, they come in flat, satin/semi-gloss, and gloss. ceilings are flats so as not to show imperfections while car finishes are gloss

Last edited:
When I used to make models one tip I read was to but some grey in with the black for tyres. If you go in a car show room and see cars with tyre wall black on you realise tyres are actually a very very very dark grey.

Add a small touch of matt (flat) brown too - gives it more of a 'rubbery' look.

Airframes years ago I used to get the Airfix magazine. In one article some guy who obviously knew what he was talking about said something like this.

A colour changes with distance a tree looks a different green from a distance as to close up. It is a part of an artists skill to use these colour effects to create perspective. A scale model is like looking at a distance so the colour should be different, from a distance tyres look lighter than they do close up so they should be lighter on a small scale model.

the theory sounds fine I just dunno about the practice :shock:

LW wheels often had glossy black hubs, whose shiny finish would have lasted 10 seconds after landing on a dusty airfield.

Attachments

• imagesCAXGDYK4.jpg
    imagesCAXGDYK4.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 127
TEC, remember the same thing, there was a web site with a big chart on how colors should be adjusted depending on the scale of the model. such modelers amaze me. i remember one article about this guy who made windshield wipers for his planes out of spru

TEC, remember the same thing, there was a web site with a big chart on how colors should be adjusted depending on the scale of the model. such modelers amaze me. i remember one article about this guy who made windshield wipers for his planes out of spru

It sounds like sort of silly theory at first, but I have seen some models which due to the colour just looked like plastic with paint, others made to the same standard actually look like the real thing in miniature. In my experience 1/72 spitfires in BoB colours rarely look "right" the colours are too dark even if they are completely correct, it is obviously an art.

It's actually not that difficult to achieve, by making the relevant colours lighter, to suit the scale, and the area of the model (i.e., the airframe, the interior etc).
of course, as with everything, it takes practice, but is soon absorbed and perfected.

i really admire people who get that involved and their models are fantastic i guess i just don't have that much patience. i buy the correct color from testors or tamiya and spray it on. my bigest change has been to learn to use an airbrush which has made a major difference in the way my cammo looks. i'v given up on any interior detail except what shows. still trying to decide on this B-29 interior and how i'm going to "show" it

Hi Mike, I know what you are saying with B-29. I built the Monogram 1/48 B-29 a long time ago when I was using tube glue and only had paint brushes. There was no way in hell I was going to build paint all of that interior if no one was ever going to see it. In the end I decided to buy a razor saw and I cut the fuselage top into several large cut outs.
The front canopy lent it's self to the first cut out, I kept the front glass dome glued to the main body.......hang on this is too confussing to describe and I still have this model lurking in a box in the garage. Back in 20 min with pictures.

Front canopy
sdc10229e.jpg

sdc10231xh.jpg

There was no way I was building this without being able to see it ever again.
sdc10236.jpg

The next two cut out were over the bomb bays and the last one was the roof of the rear gunners compartment crew rest room.
sdc10233n.jpg

sdc10234n.jpg

Just worked out it was 20years ago I built this, WOW.

I hope that this helps with some idea's on how to display the interior. If a model is for me and it has some special detail inside it I get the saw out and cut a section out where it will sit back in place without glue.

Cheers Switch

Switcha, don't know what happened but i do not get any pics. please see if you can post those pics again. I was going to build just 1/2 of the plane and leave the left side off. cutting the top seems like a good idea, that way gravity holds the piece in place
most models have no detail in the fuselage it's usually in the cockpit, then they include a solid canopy. the F-105 was the first with a canopy i could easily glue open so the cockpit detail shows

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back